Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Linked Table Error

Hello, I am using Access 2.0 to work with btrive 6.15 databases and I can open a query that contains information from only one table but as soon as I open a query with two linked tables the query returns blank, I am hoping it is something easy, anyone have any idea? Any help is greatly appreciated.

are the key fields in BOTH linked tables linked in Access? Don't count on them being linked in Access because they are on another db platform

What do you mean linked in access? How can I tell?

Provided Answers: 1
    Can you see the contents of the linked tables ?

yes... indvidualy but when it trys to pull the information together from two tables it shows up with nothing.

Provided Answers: 1
    Perhaps you have made the wrong joint, check the joint fileds....

The wrong joint? You mean the item that links the two tables? I checked and the items in the two fields do go together, these files were working but something changed on the system, so i set up another system from scratch and am thinking that i just missed something... thank you for your help.

to check for links in Access click on Tools, then Relationships. In this window, you will see any tables in your database that are participating in links. The link are represented by lines connecting the field name(s) from any two tables.

If you don't see anything in this window, you will have to create the links. If you don't see the Show Table dialog box, click Relationships, Show Table. Double click the names of the tables you want relationship between, close the Show table box, the drag-and-drop for the relationships.

i tried to look for that, but i couldn't find it. I have taken screen shots of what is happing so maybe it is easyer to understand. These were all working, but then something happend on the machine Access was running on.

http://www.myspaceape.com/sci/shots/start.JPG
    http://www.myspaceape.com/sci/shots/design.JPG
    http://www.myspaceape.com/sci/shots/blank.JPG

thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blank.JPG   design.JPG   start.JPG  

My guess would be that your join is not on the proper fields. Like, maybe,
    you have Customer_ID joined to Customer_Name. Check that, and also make sure the fields are the same data type. "1234"<>1234
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

well on that particular one it was Customer_Number and Line_Item_Customer_Number, but this query was working on another computer, i just can't seam to get it to work on this computer, any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

The line that connects the Customer_Number and Line_Customer_Number fields in your design.jpg screenshot (the queries) indicate that an appropriate join exists. A better screenshot would have had the two tables used by the query scrolled UP so we could see the fields that were joined, but I'm sure you can check that yourself and have it correct.

So, where to go from here? I assume you've done some troubleshooting steps to try and locate the problem. For example,run the query without any filters (like the ORDER_SALESMAN must be "AH").

Another thing to check would be Can you view the contents of the tables (specifically the ones involved in the query) on this computer? To do that, simply doulbe click each table name as seen in your start.jpg screenshot.

What we're trying to do is locate the source of the problem. It would be a mistake to assume that the source of the problem is two levels into the database with the query not showing any records. It could be that the query shows lots of records, but the filter is not working. Or, it could be that the query does not show any records because the source table or tables show no records.

Thank you for your help, I tried removing the filter, "AH", but that didn't do anything, I can view the contents of the tables idepently, and if there is a query that involves only one table i can do that as well. I apreciate your help.

try creating a new, simpler query on those 2 tables.

1) does the join appear on it's own in that query design view?
    2) are you able to view records from both tables in the new query?

It does seem, however, that basically no records in one table share that field in common with any records in the other table. Might the field in one table have extra spaces or preceding zeroes, or something like that? You can't check the field types, or at least you cant CHANGE them because they are linked tables.

Post the query's SQL. Maybe we'll see something then.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation