Thread: Access help

Unanswered: Access help

Im hoping someone can help me in getting my database off the ground. First and foremost my knowledge of Access comes from one class I took as a requirement for my Associates Degree in CS. Im fairly knowledgeable with the relationship portion but Im having a hard time figuring this out.
    Im creating this database solely for my own personal use. As it stands, I get paid on commission and I track all if this stuff via a spreadsheet using Excel. The thing is, Id love to get my hands dirty and learn how to create a decent database.
    I normally notate the clients name, the service that they had and in notating the service, it will automatically populate another field with the amount of said service. I did this by using the lookup feature in Excel. I have a drop down box with several services that can be selected. If and when I select a certain item, another field is populated with the exact price of that service. I then have another field in which I calculate a certain percentage times the service amount to get my allotted commission.
    So, Im wondering if anyone can tell me how I would go about building some type of lookup in which I could have a drop down box and if and when I select a certain service, it will auto populate another field with the amount it is equal to. Would I need several tables for this or would the service and the service amount be in one table? If so, why or why not?

You should build another table to look up. It's easy to build and you will find it is benifitial at a later time. Build a table I'd called "service" using design view. You will list the services on this table. On your main table, I assume you called "clients" which should have "services" field. On the Data Type, select the "Look up using Wizard..."