Thread: Oracle login

Unanswered: Oracle login

Hi There,
    I'm not an ORACLE person but need to increase the table space ,Oracle 8 being the backend for SAP Application Suite. I've tried unsuccessfully to login to Oracle storage manager. Could some one please help me perform this increasing the table space. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Alter Tablespace <tbs_name> Add Datafile ...................
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Login Info

Sorry I've not posted my question correctly.

I have tried to login to Oracle Storage Manager using the following info.
    Usename:sysadmin
    Passwordysadmin
    but I do not know the default database name or service.
    Please help me log into storage manager. and also if some one can provide me the string to login to Pl/Sql using scott/tiger but I do not know the host string.
    Please help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by penukonda
    Hi There,
    I'm not an ORACLE person but need to increase the table space ,Oracle 8 being the backend for SAP Application Suite. I've tried unsuccessfully to login to Oracle storage manager. Could some one please help me perform this increasing the table space. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    Do you have a TNSNAMES.ORA file on your disk? Database alias should be in there.

Also, you do not login to PL/SQL but SQL*Plus. Perhaps you would find it useful to read "Concepts" (and other) book on the Oracle Technology Network documentation site.

This illustrates one of my pet peeves. Always learn the command line forms of the commands before you use a GUI. This person is stuck because they can't get into the GUI. If they know the command line then a couple of quick typed lines in sqlplus would solve their problem.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

commanline skills

You are right. I agree that One needs to have basic commandline skills. My problem is I do not know the password and host string. If some one can help me.
    thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    Do you know my password? I bet you don't.
    Vice-versa, I have no idea what might your password be (unless you tell me).

Could you contact your DBA and ask him/her for help?

If you don't know the DB password, I assume you at least have control over the machine (i.e. you know the operating system account password where the DB software is installed). If so, you can log in with OS priviledge and change the password at your desire. The host string is just the entry you used when you defined your tnsnames.