Unanswered: FileMaker Pro and Access -single-user or desktop?

What is the best terminolgy for a Filemaker Pro or Access database. Is it "single-user" or "Desktop"? Or something else?

I want to classify these on my web site (as opposed to a server database like MySQL) and am having some difficutly.

One person who does FileMaker Pro development says FileMaker should be referred to as "single-user". But when I seach Google, I get many results from "desktop database" and almost none when I ask for "single-user databases"

Regards,

It would help to know the context. Is this a runtime, or are you talking about the actual database files? I think only runtime solutions would be classified as single-user. If you're talking about the actual database files, then they could be hosted, so single-user wouldn't be a good description.

I don't think I've ever heard of a FileMaker solution called a "desktop database".

Okay, thanks. I appreciate your reply. I think I will use the classification that your forum uses.

I was using the term in referring to the actual database files. I am offering database solutions as part of my web design-web development business. I want to offer MySQL-PHP as a server-based database but also want to offer Filemaker databases to small businesses. I will be looking for business over the web, but mainly through local marketing means by joining active chamber of commerces in the metro New York area and making presentations and offering free seminars. I believe that I will see a lot of small businesses or start-ups that could use Filemaker to good advantage.

The issue came up when I was trying to differentiate a Filemaker database solution from a server-based MySQL-PHP solution.

Regards,

IMO, regarding databases - single user and desktop are almost synonymous. Personally, I consider MS Access to be single user. Granted, it can be accessed by multiple users, but, remote access to a file-based database results in a system that is prone to file locking issues and one which doesn't scale well.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert