Thread: Sqleditors

Sqleditors

I'm new to SQL 2005 Express and I'm trying to create a table on a new
    database. I'm using the SQL Management Studio Express. I was able to
    use this program to create the database with no problems. However, when
    I try to create a table in the new database. I get this error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
    ------------------------------

The system cannot find the file specified.
    (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.SQLEditors)

The error is the same when connecting from Visual Studio 2005 Server Explorer. I test the connection and is succedded but when ckick OK, the error is the same as in SQL Management Studio Express.

S.O.: Win XP SP2
    Visual Studio 2005 with SQL 2005 Express.

I apreciate some comments, i dont know what to do. At the microsoft forums they didn't answer.

Thank's in advanced

You may connect do the engine but could be a problem on a specific dll when creating a table.
    Try to reinstall/update SSMSEE: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...005_SSMSEE.msi

Inté Já.
    PaL

Try creating it using a SQL script.
    Looks like the know bug in the security of SQL 2005. Are you authorized by a domain group (builtin\administrators perhaps) or is your domain account added as a login in the SQL Server or are you using SQL logins ?
    My guess is that you're authorized via the builtin\administrators. That's where the GUI creates a problem. Each owner has it'sown default schema, and a group does not. Since you're probably not a specific login/user in your SQL Server, you're a member of a group and so you end up with no default schema ...

When you (or better: the GUI) try to run
    Code:
    create table Yveau (...)
    the GUI failes, because no default schema can be used to put the table in ... Running a script which says
    Code:
    create table dbo.Yveau (...)
    will work, because in that case you can mention the schema to use.

Sollution: create a login for your windows login and link that to a default schema.

I agree that the error message is 'somewhat' misleading. At least, it kept me busy for a few hours

Hope this helps ...

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

Quote Originally Posted by Yveau01
    Try creating it using a SQL script.
    Looks like the know bug in the security of SQL 2005. Are you authorized by a domain group (builtin\administrators perhaps) or is your domain account added as a login in the SQL Server or are you using SQL logins ?
    My guess is that you're authorized via the builtin\administrators. That's where the GUI creates a problem. Each owner has it'sown default schema, and a group does not. Since you're probably not a specific login/user in your SQL Server, you're a member of a group and so you end up with no default schema ...

When you (or better: the GUI) try to run
    Code:
    create table Yveau (...)
    the GUI failes, because no default schema can be used to put the table in ... Running a script which says
    Code:
    create table dbo.Yveau (...)
    will work, because in that case you can mention the schema to use.

Sollution: create a login for your windows login and link that to a default schema.

I agree that the error message is 'somewhat' misleading. At least, it kept me busy for a few hours

Hope this helps ...

Gr,
    Yveau

The problem also exists in the server explorer of Visual Studio 2005 when i try to connect with other databases like Oracle.

In the "Add connection" dialog of server explorer VS2005, i create a connection to any server and test it with success message, but when i click Ok button, returns a msgbox with the error "The system cannot find the file specified", but with no indication os the file.

So the problem im facing is not just from SSMS but also from server explorer and with other DB.

Wath is strange is that the connection is stablished, but not saved. So i can´not work with a DataSet in VS2005 for example.

I cant find the solution for this error in the web.

Please, help me solving this issue.

Ricardo

Did you install SSMS on the client using an account with administrator permissions ? And everything was installed on that local machine ? Otherwise it looks like Pal19 has a proper idea for a sollution ...

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

Did you install SSMS on the client using an account with administrator permissions ? And everything was installed on that local machine ? Otherwise it looks like Pal19 has a proper idea for a sollution ...

Gr,
    Yveau

I'v already reinstaled the SSMS but still with errors.
    PS:
    I can do everything in OSQL

Gr,
    Yveau
    I've repaired the visual studio 2005 but still the same error.
    "cannot find SQLEditors.DLL"

I dont know what to do.

Ricardo

I've completely uninstalled the Visual Studio 2005 from my computer, only the SQL Express 2005 remains. Then i tested again connecting SQL Express throug SSMS and try to create a new table and the same error occured.
    "The system cannot find the file specified"

Any more ideas?

it's definitely a problem with your installation. SqlEditors.dll is part of SSMS - it's not part of VS.

did you completely uninstall SSMS and then reinstall? I would try that.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    it's definitely a problem with your installation. SqlEditors.dll is part of SSMS - it's not part of VS.

did you completely uninstall SSMS and then reinstall? I would try that.

As i said, i have already uninstalled SSMS with anti-virus turned off and reinstalled him, the error remains.

I thinks the error has nothing to do with SSMS because from VS2005 Server Explorer i cant create a connection with any database.

If the problem is from SSMS, then why can't i use server explorer in VS2005?
    In VS2002 works fine!

It has anything to do with the instalation of SQL Server 2000 that i have before i installed VS2005 with SQL2005?

when you installed VS, did you install the version of sql express that comes with it? this might have clobbered the separate SSMSE install and corrupted it.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    when you installed VS, did you install the version of sql express that comes with it? this might have clobbered the separate SSMSE install and corrupted it.

Yes, in my installation of "VS2005 for Team Edition for Software Developers" i've installed SQL 2005, but when i uninstalled the VS2005, all the components os SQL 2005 remains intact.

So i've uninstalled SQL 2005 as well from "Add and Remove Programs".
    After uninstall one by one, all components disapeared from "Add and Remove Programs", but all the services and directories remain installed, as if i haven't done anything.

SQL 2005 if a product that is very dificult to clean!!!

Is my only choice make a new installation of the XP?

Isn't any workaround available from microsoft?

It's hard to believe that Microsoft haven't test this installation before!

Thanks, for your answers jezemine.

---

Ricardo