Unanswered: Optimal index size on VARCHAR - tricky...

Hi,

I have a huge InnoDB table with 40 million rows -- this is the current schema:

CREATE TABLE `titles` (
    `id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL,
    `title` varchar(255) collate utf8_bin NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
    KEY `title` (`title`(25))
    ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin PACK_KEYS=1

I try to find out the 'optimal' index size for the title column. The title field is UNIQUE, but I'm wasting lots of space when using an unique index or even the field title as a primary key.

Is there any formula to calculate the optimum index length for such a field? The content itself doesn't change and I know that the average length is 25 characters. This is the reason I made the index 25 characters long.

Another solution would be to make the index just 5 characters long, having to scan a couple hundreds of rows to find out the corresponding id for a given title.

A total different thing came also into my mind: delete the title index and create the MD5 value for title and store the first (or last) 4-6 bytes. Todays CPUs are fast enough to do this, and I would save some I/Os and disk space.

I appreciate any hints and suggestions!

how exactly is the index going to be used? with a LIKE predicate?

and why exactly do you have an id column? isn't it a bit superfluous?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I don't use a like - just a plain

SELECT id FROM titles WHERE title = 'term'

If the term exists, I get the id for that row (for other tables) and if not, I insert a new record.

The id is needed for the other tables and joins. Basically, right now there are 3 tables with a 16 million row limit for each table, that's why I'm using mediumint to make it somewhat manageable.

i think your idea of a narrow index makes sense, but i happen to be right out of 40 million row tables to test this on

so with an index on title(10) you can try this --

SELECT id FROM titles WHERE title LIKE concat(left('term',10),'%')

and then read through the results looking for equality on all 255 characters
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Yes, I know how to select and compare, but who tells me what the 'optimum' index size is. Right now it is title(25), your example is title(10), another extreme is title(255) or unique and on the lower end is title(4).

I'm just wondering if there is a magic formula to determine the right index length :-) (... since it is almost impossible to test this - the creation of each database takes hours...)