Sharepoint Alternative

Can anyone suggest an alternative to MOSS "Sharepoint".

My main goal is to have a place to store documents so user can upload and download with ease using a web client. Would like to have a database for employees, not necessarily have all them as users.

Would like a file tree with levels so i can limit users to different levels. Simple admin interface.

To run on windows server 2003.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Sharepoint is expensive, complicated, and a resource hog.

Thanks

Alfresco comes to mind being Open Source and available. IBM Content Management is also another option and is great for large businesses who don't mind large price-tags. Confluence is another with pretty good tools and security.

Here is a great site to help you find a CMS package with exactly what you are looking for;

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix?func=search

The problem with Sharepoint is that the implementation is more important than anything else in the project and it takes a lot of careful planning and full exceptance at all user levels. Which is almost impossible in buildings outside of the Microsoft Campus.
    Last edited by msmeland; 01-08-07 at 18:15.

Box.net

Hello,

This is Alex from Box.net, an online file storage and sharing company. I'm writing to let you know about our new Box Widget, an easy way to share and collaborate on any website. I saw your post saying that you were having problems with Sharepoint, and wanted to recommend this product as an alternative.

The Box Widget lets users view pictures, movies and audio, right from the widget, and can download any other type of file. Users can collaborate by uploading directly into the widget, on any website, and folders can be password protected for companies to create work group folders. All it takes is a single line of code and a consumer, small or large business can add this to their site.

Some potential use cases:
    - Media kits
    - Client files (with password protection)
    - Drop box for clients (with password protection)
    - Product marketing material
    - Forms / documents
    - Presentations / podcasts / media
    You can try it out here: www.box.net/get

We think this could be a strong product for businesses that are traditionally spending large amounts of money on solutions that they host and manage themselves, or an easy to implement solution for small businesses, without requiring that those businesses send traffic away from their site.

Thanks!
    Alex

Another Sharepoint alternative - ProjectSpaces

Although were biased, wed suggest Projectspaces - www.projectspaces.com -
    as a good Sharepoint alternative for groups that have less sophisticated users who just need a basic collaboration feature set. ProjectSpaces doesnt have as many bells and whistles as some of the other tools, but it does what it does extremely well in an intuitive way. Its also lightweight and fast. Its not wiki-based, which is a good thing for some groups who need more structure.

Take a look at TeamCenter Express (Siemens.)
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Sharepoint Alternative

we use a web based solution called http://www.hyperoffice.com which solves the problems you mentioned. infact we came across it while looking for a sharepoint alternative suitable for our 70 employee company context.

its an integrated toolkit of collaboration tools. document management is one of the many tools (others being calendars, task management, contacts, email etc). you can easily set up intranet/extranet pages and add the document management tool (amongst other tools). within these pages you can organize documents as folders/subfolders etc. you can control access (no access, read, write, delete) at the page, folder, subfolder or document level. a very easy and logical structure.

since its web based. setup is almost instant.

O3Spaces

Take a look at www.o3spaces.com. It's cross platform capabilities are quite usefull..

Quote Originally Posted by marcover
    Take a look at www.o3spaces.com. It's cross platform capabilities are quite usefull..
    Another usefull site about what it does compared to sharepoint:
    www.sharepointalternative.org

Another product to try is AxiList, if you don't need something too complex. It's an easy to use and flexible enterprise collaboration/data management tool.

AxiList - Medium-enterprise management and collaboration solution.

Try Datastay. They provide an on-deman web based product thats much better than sharepoint and easier to customize.

Datastay - Business Process, Product Lifecycle, Quality, and Change Management Solutions Datastay - Business Process, Product Lifecycle, Quality, and Change Management Solutions

Sharepoint Alternative sites

I know this thread is old but for the benefit of those finding the topic via Google, there are two sharepoint alternative comparison sites that may be useful. They are Home | Microsoft SharePoint Alternative: Compare SharePoint Alternatives and Top SharePoint Alternatives

Hope it helps!