Unanswered: How do I export a table to dbf (dbase) file ?

besides using the costly EMS Data export application?

I'm using the SQL 2005 Express version......I heard the enterprise manager can do the job but I can't afford a standard edition yet....

Provided Answers: 1
    Export to a delimited file using BCP, and then dbase should be able to import a delimited file.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

i see.

However, this dbase file is not meant for any dbase programme, it's just an input for a superbase application.

Is there a more straight forward way? Even EMS Data Export is not very straight forward.....

would using asp .net solve the problem?

Provided Answers: 1
    You could try using MS Access as an intermediary. Link to the SQL Server tables and see if Access will export to dbase format.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

is there an easier way? coz I can't buy additional access license

Provided Answers: 54
    Operative word being "think", I think that you can create a dBase linked server and create the files that way. I don't think that the express product has SSIS, which would make this easy.

-PatP

what about using bcp ? does bcp support dbf export? or is there any way to convert the exported table to dbf format?

found a cheap+good software called interactive SQL (iSQL) from MicroOLAP. think it should solve my problem, still evaluating it

i got some little problem here.

While exporting out to dbf file, iSQL can only output to a minimum of 5 bytes for nvarchar(2) but EMS Data export is able to output a nvarchar(2) to 2 bytes. Perhaps they assume 5 bytes is the minimum the industry is using.

Another problem is the numeric decimal datatype. both iSQL and EMS Data Export can only export to the default storage size of 19bytes (15 + 4) instead of a smaller size. Is there any other floating data type in sql server that's smaller than 19 bytes? I need to export the numeric field to be 11 bytes ( 9 + 2 ), any idea?

Open Office 2 Calc can import/export to dbf ,paradox and many other format.

Have been using OpenOffice to export to dbf but it can't export directly from SQL2005. So far I have been using SQL 2005 to export the tables to excel format and use OpenOffice Calc to export them to dbf file.

Question

Hi all, now I'm on SQL 2008 EE, so SSIS is included. However, I couldn't find any DBF destination option for the 32-bit DTSWizard. So how can we export a particular table to dbf file?