Greetings Colleagues all. I trust 2007 will bring you all your hearts desires !
I have Access 2000 set up as part of the Office suite of applications and Access 2003 set up as a separate entity. In the latter case, databases are maintained in Access 2000 format.
If I open a database in Access 2000, all works as expected. However, if I open it in Access 2003, the following sequence of events takes place.
1). The message "An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now ?". If I reply Yes, the Windows Installer is invoked and does something (well, the blue thermometer travels across the message box), but there is no difference to subsequent program behaviour to that following the No response.
2). The opening form is displayed (run by AutoExec()) but none of the controls which depend upon VBA code work.
3). If I try to access the VBA code for an object by opening the object in Design View and then selecting View/Code from the menu, either nothing happens or the message "Microsoft Office Access failed to create the Visual Basic Module" is displayed. The associated Help comment advises that I should refer to my Application documentation on how to include the module in the project. However, if I open a Module in design view, I can not only see the Module code, but I can use Project Explorer to access the code for any object in the application.
4). If I make a change in the code and try to compile it, I get the message "Module Not Found".
5). If I try to save the VBA code, I get the message "The Save operation failed".
Fortunately, none of this carryon seems to affect the application itself, as I can continue to use it qhite happily in Access 2000.
This would be OK, were it not for the fact that the file association feature insists on opening any database in Access 2003.
I did have a thought that this might be related to macro control in the security system. However, I have set the security at the lowest level and this does not seem to help.
Any help will be gratefully received.
Teddy, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, my marketplace is very small business, where (a) clients like to do things their way and (b) they resist like mad any suggestion that they upgrade their systems. Clients like what they know ! I even have some clients who still run Access 97 !
Actually, I am in the process of upgrading my frameworks to Access 2003 when time allows, because it does allow (to some extent) applications to be maintained in the format of previous Access generations.
I also write to report a solution to my problem. I did a complete reinstall of Access 2003 but did NOT check the box to search the Microsoft site for updates. I suspect that a suspect (we Aussies love tautologies) security update may have been responsible. Anyway, it works fine now - just as it used to. Thanks for your interest.