Unanswered: sql server 2005 express

hi

i am a complete stranger to sql. i have used Microsoft Access for about 2 years now at school. i have made an intranet homepage at home and would like to also run a forum. i have all of the required file for the forum except a sql database.

i have tried to make a sql database but i don't know where to start the application lol start >> all programs >> Microsoft sql server 2005 >>
    then all i have is the configuration tools

any help thanx

if you want to use a (free) GUI to create and manage a database, you can use Management Studio Express. It's the free mgmt app to go with SQL Express (just the relational engine):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-5A0F62BF7796

hi

thanx for the reply, i must have been wrong i thought like most if not all windows apps had a gui

is sql like a command line database then?

Quote Originally Posted by TheXero
    hi

thanx for the reply, i must have been wrong i thought like most if not all windows apps had a gui

is sql like a command line database then?
    it is a windows service. this allows it to run and handle client requests when there is no user logged in to the server.

generally a windows service has a separate app to manage it, and that's the case with sql server as well. also true for oracle, mysql, etc.

hi

I have made a Database called forum although it doesn't yet have anything in it. when i enter details into the invision forum setup bit here http://localhost/forum/install/index.php it says

'Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql .php on line 127'

when i click continue at the bottom of the page after filling out the database name, usernames and passwords

when i put C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql .php into the address bar it starts a download of that file

can anyone help

thanx
    Last edited by TheXero; 01-04-07 at 16:12.

This question should by posted in the PHP-forum I think but a one pointer: You are using the MySQL-library and should be using the one for mssql (mysql_connect() should be mssql_connect() or something)