Unanswered: Open remote program\fileName\print

I'm looking for a way in an Access 2003 report to open a graphics program\pass the file name to the program and then have it automatically print.

Something like; open "D:\graphicsprogram\filename\print"

I looked at the shellFunction but not exactly sure how, or where to place the code. I think ReportFooter would work.

Also. the help file didn't have information on printing a filename.

Thanks . . . Rick

Provided Answers: 1
    Access has no control over how external programs handle command line arguments. What program are you trying to automate?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Freelance Graphics. The program file is F32main.exe

I thought that Access could easily open other programs easily. I guess the command line part is a little different.

On the other hand, If I could insert 4 charts (8 1/2 x 11 landscape mode)at the end of my report that would make my life really easy. I can only get 2, and half of the third chart. then I reach the 22" limit.

I've looked everywhere and no one seem to have much inside information on the true capabilities of charting in Access 2003. MS must want us to use Excel charts.

Thanks Teddy . . . Rick

I think if you add your charts to separate report objects and then add them as subreports you can get around the 22 inch size limitation. When you add the subreports to your main report, make them too small for them to show the entire graph. Then for the subreport control change the Can Grow Property to yes and it should show the entire graph.

Hey, this sounds interesting DC . . .

I'm going to try this out and see how it works.

Of course I can OLE Link the charts correct?

I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks much. Rick

Wait one . . . "seperate report objects?" Not separate subReports?

Would it be a bound or unbound object?

Rick

Almost DK . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DCKunkle
    I think if you add your charts to separate report objects and then add them as subreports you can get around the 22 inch size limitation. When you add the subreports to your main report, make them too small for them to show the entire graph. Then for the subreport control change the Can Grow Property to yes and it should show the entire graph.
    This seems like a simple method.

I created a separate report, added four linked charts about 3 inches x three inches in a verticle column. No problem.

Changed the properties to "Can Grow" but all I get is two small charts on two separate pages in stead of one 8 1/2 x 11 landscape chart per page.

I tried placing the charts first in the detail section, then the page footer section, and finally the report footer section.

I also tried ForceNewPage Before and after combinations.

I think I'm close but I'm missing something.

Thanks . . . Rick

Provided Answers: 59
    Ive used the charting object in access quite a lot, sometimes doing multiple charts in a sinlge report. yes its a bit limited, and yes its not particulary quick... but it seesm to do the job most times
    sometimes you need to insert page breaks to force a new page
    sometimes you need to be a bit creative about nhow you present the data

the biggest hurdle was always the customer demanding that you make the chart look near identical to the manualy drawn one they were used to... often impossible in Access, and barely possible with a more custome designed charting program

one possibility that I have also used is to supply charts as an appendix.. ie they aren't part of the report itself, but supplied as a PDF, the chartnames have the same based name as the report , with the appendix ID suffixed. the user then downloads the report and appendices from the same server location. took the users a bit of time to get used to.. but seems to work fien now.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Can Grow Not its namesake.

Thanks for your input.

The linked freelance object (Chart) does not printPreview in full page mode or print in full size layout. It prints the size of the graphic in the subReport.

Page Breaks, ForceNew Before of After has no affect. Can Grow also fails.

If I could make this work it would save me hours of time in the printing of the report and charts all as one process in lieu of having to open the charting program, print the charts from there and then have to manually place them in my printed reports in the correct order.

Whew!

Thanks . . . Rick