Question Unanswered: sum two columns for each name/month (was "SQL Query - Need Help!")

Can someone Please help me with what seems to me a "complex" query??

I have the following columns/data - See Original Data.jpg

This is what I need the SQL query(s) to do. I need it to
    1) Select the distinct names AND months
    2) Count the number of times that a name AND a month appeared together
    3) Sum totalsold for each name/month
    4) sum employeescore for each name/month

So it would look like - After Query.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original Data.JPG   After Query.JPG  

Provided Answers: 1
    Homework assignment?

What have you tried so far?

Hint: using an aggregate query for requirements #2, #3, and #4 will automatically give you a distinct selection of name and month to satisfy requirement #1.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    it's a new semester but do the kids go back to class on Jan 2nd? seems a little soon. I never went to the first day of class unless I did not know the professor and I was thinking of dropping it.

even if class has started, do you usually get homework on the first day? most kids do not have their books yet.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

not a student

no i am not a student ... i am a full time employee at a company and that is not real data but the concept is the same. my experience with sql was moderate four years ago when I actually created databases but as you would imagine all that goes out the window when you don't use it for awhile ...

i'm writing a macro in excel and am working with it as if it was a database for a roadblock i encountered with a project so help writing this complex query would be appreciated. i can get the first one i asked for but for the life of me cannot get them all together

Its a large topic, but not complicated. Read up on aggregate queries and functions in Books Online.

blindman

yes

have been.
    any help with any of the questions 2-4 should help me figure out the others

Oh come on now. I don't believe you have read anything on aggregate queries. This is pitifully easy.

select count(*), sum(c), sum(d) from table group by a, b

Plus, apparently you were shown how to do this before: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1201902

blindman

yes i have had problems with count in the past ... but that isn't giving me what i'm looking for . i'm trying to count two columns name and month. so you see john and august both come up together twice dave and august come up together once. i've tried

select count(name,month) from .... which isn't giving me a value correctly. ideas?

alright someone else helped me and now it works beautifully group by was the key i was using distinct which was throwing off everything else

So, you didn't even bother to read my pseudo-code illustrating the use of GROUP BY? You just waited until somebody came around and wrote the query for you, eh?

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    So, you didn't even bother to read my pseudo-code illustrating the use of GROUP BY? You just waited until somebody came around and wrote the query for you, eh?
    You can lead a horse to water ...

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --