Unanswered: Access the Previous Record with Missing ID Number

I am trying to perform calculations in a report using data from the current record and the previous record to it. I found this MS article which helps me access the previous record and that works fine. The problem is if I delete a record from the table then that ID number will be missing so record numbering will be similar to 1,2,3,5,6 etc missing 4. If I then run my report I get blank fields because on the record which looks back at the missing record it won't find the previous ID in this case ID 5 - 1 should be 4 which isn't there.

Do you know of anyway I can get it to look back until it finds the previous ID (or just the previous record) even if several rows are missing?

If you need me to explain that a bit more clearly please ask.

Thanks

Neil.

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you dealing with an autonumber field? If so, that's not how autonumber works...

If you're using a query method similar to the one described, you could look for:

DMax("yourKeyField", "yourTable", "yourKeyField < " & forms!keyField)
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Hi

Thanks for your reply, that looks like it may help me. I will try and let you know.

Yes it is a auto number field.

Neil.

Thumbs up It Works !

Thanks you so much, your solution worked well so I now have no blank fields.

Thanks

Neil.