Exclamation Unanswered: Scheduled DTS fails, manual works. Help!

Hey all. I've got a DTS package that's scheduled to run after business hours on the last day of the month. This package copies some tables from an offsite SQL Server, then runs through a series of SQL Statements and finally exports an excel file with the results.

My problem is that the DTS will run if I manually start it, but the scheduled job always fails. Of course, the error I get is that the job failed at step one, and I have no other info.

I'm not a heavy DBA (mor eon the client app side of things), so I'm unsure as to how I can dbug this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Provided Answers: 1
    It's likely that the account that is setup for SQL server to use against your off-site resource does not have the credentials required. When you run the package manually, it's actually running as you. When it's run as a job, it's run under the server's account. I would check to make sure credentials are setup properly for your server.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 54
    I'd just change the credentials used by the job step that runs the DTS package so that it actually DOES run as you, making the conflict a non-issue!

Note that this neatly side-steps a much larger problem. User accounts should not be required to make scheduled jobs run. You ought to have a "service account" with sufficient privledges to perform the task. This is a cornerstone concept for enterprise job scheduling.

-PatP

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I do have one other job that runs 100% locally, and that one fails as well. We do have a load of jobs that run various times during the day, btu these are the only two that fail. I've checked the schedules, and the databases being used i nthe DTS aren't being accessed in any way when these are supposed to be running.

Provided Answers: 1
    Your "other" job may or may not have any of the same symptoms as the DTS you originally posted regarding. Does the "other" job run when scheduled as a job but not when run locally? If not, then that is a seperate issue...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***