Unanswered: Install Oracle 9i after having Oracle 10g installed

hi, all,

On my PC (Running Windows XP), I have already have Oracle 10g R2 installed. However, I was requested to test our application with Oracle 9i. I want to have both version installed, but am worried about any possible negative impacts on the existing 10g R2 services/instance.

So my questions are:

1) Can I install Oracle 9i, by using its OUI, without breaking any existing 10g R2 stuff?
    2) Since I don’t need to start both versions at the same time, is it possible for me to use the same SID in both versions. Any implications with the Windows registry or services?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Ben

1) Yes, absolutely. You *could* break it if you choose to install it in the same oracle home where you installed your 10g R2 stuff, however.
    2) I am not too sure about this, but I *believe* (allthough haven't tested) that windows will complain that there's already a service named Oracle<SID>.

Talking

1) As jmartinez said, you can install 9i version without 'breaking' anything IF you install in another ORACLE HOME.

2) The SID is the name of the instance and may be different from the database name. You have to choose a different SID name for each Oracle version.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks a lot for the guidance!

The reason why I want to use the same SID for both versions is: I then don't need to change the JDBC connection URL(using SID) in Java side or in Application Server configurations, every time when I switch the version. Currently, I am using two different SIDs, but do wish there is some workaround to save me from the hassle.

Thansk,

Ben

Talking

The only way I know you can use the same SID is when the databases are on different servers.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >The only way I know you can use the same SID is when the databases are on different servers.
    I respectfully disagree with the statement above (in theory).
    While I have never actually tried to create/support two instances with the same SID on a single system, I strongly suspect it can ("easily") be done on *nix.
    The only caveat is that only one version/SID could be up at any moment in time.
    HOWEVER, I would NEVER endorse such a practice.
    For one, it would violate the OFA naming convention.
    For two, I would find it confusing as heck; not knowing for sure which instance I was really connecting to.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    >The only way I know you can use the same SID is when the databases are on different servers.
    I respectfully disagree with the statement above (in theory).
    While I have never actually tried to create/support two instances with the same SID on a single system, I strongly suspect it can ("easily") be done on *nix.
    The only caveat is that only one version/SID could be up at any moment in time.
    HOWEVER, I would NEVER endorse such a practice.
    For one, it would violate the OFA naming convention.
    For two, I would find it confusing as heck; not knowing for sure which instance I was really connecting to.

I never said "two instances with the same SID on a single system", rather "you can use the same SID when the databases are on different servers"

I also disagree with that practice, but you do can have same SID on different servers, just a matter of coding the tnsnames.ora correctly (or using different tnsnames.ora files on the client(s)).

PS: We have had to do it to test disaster recovery without shutdown of production.