Unanswered: Visual Basic Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

First, this forum is slanted towards classic visual basic - Standalone VB versions 4, 5, and 6. VB.Net/2003/2005/Express is an entirely different language, and dotNet questions should be posted in the dotNet forum.

Likewise, VBA is a subset of VB, and while similar to VB, is different enough that questions regarding VBA should be posted in the appropriate "parent" application forum. The MS Access forum, or the Excel forum, for instance.

Next (and I cannot stress this enough!) - Have you pressed F1 ??? VB's help is excellent. But, if you don't use it, it can't help.

Finally - Have you checked MSDN ??? Almost ALL the answers are there, if you'll just take the time to find it. Granted, it may be hidden, but the time spent looking is time well spent, as every time you search, you get a better idea as to what kind of information is present, and where its located. If you have MSDN on disk, install and use it. If you don't, use the online version. Trying to use VB without MSDN is literally like trying to wallpaper a room with one arm. Why limit yourself?
    Last edited by loquin; 10-02-07 at 11:45.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

A sister site...

XtremeVBTalk.Com is an outstanding resource for the VB/VB.Net programmer. They are another INet interactive-owned site. In addition to being the repository of well over a million VB related posts, they have a voluminous "Knowledge Base" (tutorials and code library) forum which you can peruse.

ref their Top Ten Tutorials

Recommended.
    Last edited by loquin; 11-12-07 at 11:53.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Tracking down a connection string CAN be painful. Ref this tutorial in our sister site, Xtreme VB Talk, for a few approaches to creating that perfect connection string....

If you prefer to download the compiled and packaged utility, one is available here.
    Last edited by loquin; 02-18-13 at 13:53. Reason: update link
    Lou
    使大吃一惊