Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Well, our DBA just walked out...

The guy got pissed and just left today without transferring any of his documentation, passwords,....

What steps do we need to take and what sort of things should we look out for?

*our network admin has cut off all his access into the company.

Provided Answers: 11
    Inventory time. How many servers are you dealing with, can you connect to all of them as an administrator, how many databases on each, and are any of them likely to run out of space in the near future.

Shortly after that, check for scheduled jobs. Backups are the most important thing to figure out here, very quickly by understanding restores, and how you will accomplish them (if necessary). Also check for maintenance plans, integrity checks, and anything else that may error out and/or page someone.

After that, I am not sure what I would look for. That might depend on what I saw in the first two steps.

so far we found that he deleted all the DTS packages and Jobs, we are still digging.

thanks for the ideas!

Provided Answers: 6
    he could have setup a harmless looking job that fires an encrypted stored procedure that formats drives and he could have scheduled it to fire a month from now.

Do you backup the msdb? You can those packages back if you do.

I would never do damage on my way out but I have contemplated finding a new job right before the boss goes on maternity leave. Revenge for telling me that I can not take time off until the end of February and then she leaves early today and takes tomorrow off after just getting back Tuesday from 9 days off.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

wow. talk about burning bridges.

If you need help documenting your databases, I would be happy to donate a free license for SqlSpec if it helps you out of this mess. See the link in my sig below.

wow...that's crazy. If he went through the trouble of deleting jobs, he could have very easily writen a quick update to delete / mangle data in any number of tables. Here's the first few things I would do:

- put the server in single-user mode if possible until a disaster analysis plan is formulated and executed.

. inventory and lock down the most recent dumps for all the databases.

- dbcc all the databases and look for errors. Formulate a recovery stategy that includes the recent dumps.

- look for any trigger objects. He may have put a trigger in place that mangles some objects

- look for scheduled tasks. If possible, delete them and create new, clean ones.

That's where I would start. I would also consider contacting authorities if you find he did anything malicious. Your data is a company asset. It could be a serious crime to knowingly destroy it.

Good luck.

Eagles

michelin man, after you secure the environment, and have everything back under control, perhaps you might want to get together with HR and find out why he was so pissed, pissed enough to take a risk with his career like that

usually people don't get pissed for no good reason
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

wow did he find a job that paid more? thats crazy how one would just quit on the spot without reason. sorry to hear that.

Provided Answers: 1
    Just goes to show, DBAs should be pampered and treated like gold.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Just goes to show, DBAs should be pampered and treated like gold.
    i perfer just acting like the jackass that I am and getting away with it because they fear and respect my power. what was it machiavelli said... better to be feared than loved. I think that is a paraphrase of a paraphrase.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by michelin man
    so far we found that he deleted all the DTS packages and Jobs, we are still digging.

thanks for the ideas!
    Personally, I'd document the items that needed recovery and the cost in time and money to recover them... then, I'd sue that idiot into the ground... I've been plenty angry with a company or two of my own and have never caused any damage to the data. Being a DBA should be like being a doctor... "above all else, cause no harm."

Pissed at what?

This was the only guy?

Talk about all your eggs in one basket
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Never burn bridges

I think that its bad professional practice to burn bridges at work. Even if the job or boss suck, its better to be a real pro and give at least some advance notice. You never know who you will run into the future. For me, we had a DBA quit with zero notice and he has a very bad reputation. Even if someone offered me more money, I would still be ethical and keep my word and give at least a written notice to the employer.

Did i miss it. Change your sa password fast.

This guy and another person were moved to another department, same work just a new boss. Upon hearing this he turned in his resignation (with no formal departure date). He didn’t agree with this move and said “if they force me train someone else on the warehouse I will walk out”. Well, people started pressing the issue about training and the guy packed up his stuff and left.

1. he would NEVER train his lower level dba on anything pertaining to the warehouse.
    2. did not document a single thing
    3. burned a 6 year bridge

It appears we are better off now that he is gone. We have fixed the crap he deleted and are working on jobs that he couldn’t or wouldn’t run in the past.

One more question.
    If he was the only one with the SA password how can we change it?

THANKS guys for all the help and ideas.