Unanswered: Query Relationship

Hi all I have a question, In my view I have two tables linked together for the users, my issue is that I want them to see one record so they can get the proper total amount of records. The main table is reports and the child table is subjects. How do I make it so that they see one record from the reports table, because if there is more then one subject linked to a reports number which is the primary key, they will see more then one report number. Does that make sense??

Provided Answers: 11
    So you want to display the header information with a summary of the detail information? Sounds like you will be looking for aggregate functions and the group by clause. Something like

Code:
    select o.*, sum(d.value)
    from orders o join details d on o.id = d.orderid
    group by (all the fields of the orders table)

Heres my query

Code:
    SELECT     TOP 100 PERCENT dbo.Report.[Incident Report No], dbo.Report.Date, dbo.Report.TypeOfIncident, dbo.Subjects.SubjFirstName, 
                 dbo.Subjects.SubjLastName
    FROM         dbo.Report INNER JOIN
                 dbo.Subjects ON dbo.Report.[Incident Report No] = dbo.Subjects.[Incident number]
    WHERE     (dbo.Report.Date BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2006-01-01 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2006-12-31 00:00:00', 102))
    it will show me two of the same ID numbers because of the subjects table which has two entries

Provided Answers: 1
    See the part where he said "GROUP BY" and you didn't? You might want to start there...

SideNote: Is there a reason you're using TOP 100%? I generally see that as an order by hack, but you don't have an order by clause...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

sorry

Missed that part sorry

Hows this??

Ok hows this
    Code:
    SELECT     TOP 100 PERCENT dbo.Report.[Incident Report No], MIN(dbo.Report.Date) AS Date, MIN(dbo.Report.TypeOfIncident) AS Type, 
                          MIN(dbo.Subjects.SubjLastName) AS [Last Name], MIN(dbo.Subjects.SubjFirstName) AS [First Name]
    FROM         dbo.Report LEFT OUTER JOIN
                          dbo.Subjects ON dbo.Report.[Incident Report No] = dbo.Subjects.[Incident number]
    GROUP BY dbo.Report.[Incident Report No]
    HAVING      (MIN(dbo.Report.Date) BETWEEN CONVERT(DATETIME, '2006-01-01 00:00:00', 102) AND CONVERT(DATETIME, '2006-12-31 00:00:00', 102))

Talking Its Ma Birthday

Oh Yeah It Works Its Ma Birthday Shake Ma Booty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Is there a reason you're using TOP 100%?
    He's probably using a (graphical) query builder like the one in EM. Those things always put these unuseful things in there

often the top 100 percent thing is a hack so that you can use "order by" in a view definition. although even if you use it there, results aren't guaranteed to come back ordered.

Mmmm, didn't know that one. Seems logical it should not work. The ORDER BY is used to get the TOP x%, how they will be delivered to you is unknown.

Sounds like something a developer I know would do. He used a clustered index so he though he would get his data always in the right order without having to use ORDER BY. Ofcourse he was sadly mistaken