Unanswered: Personnel 10Gon Notebook, can I access it from another PC

Hello,
    I'm a Programmer and not a Network Tech or DBA, so I am unsure if this is possible or not?

I have Personnel Oracle 10G installed on my Notebook (platform XP) and was curous how to and if I can get my Desktop (platform also XP) or other PC's to be able to get to that database??

The obvious 10g Client would have to be installed on the Desktop, but what about hardware to get to the Notebook and what about Security, etc...

The main reason for this is so that my Notebook can have Visual Studio 2005 and my Desktop retain Visual Studio 2003 and both use the same database and data.

Thanks
    Brent Thomas
    Ohio

(Bump)

No one has done anything like this?
    or have any insight on it?

-Brent Thomas
    Ohio

Provided Answers: 4
    This notebook must be available on the network. Clients must have appropriate SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files which would point to the database on the notebook. More or less, the whole thing should work as if the database was on a "real" database server.

You should, perhaps, take care that notebook has a static IP address. DNS would probably not be a good idea.

Since I am not on a Network nor plan on building one just so a PC can connect to my Notebook which has myt DB running, I guess the answer is No.

Unless someone has additional information, I guess I have my answer.

-Brent Thomas
    Ohio

Now I don't understand what you are saying ... there is your Notebook (and has a database installed on it). There's also antoher PC which you would like to connect to that Notebook.

As you've said that you are not on a network, how did you mean to connect PC and Notebook if not through a network, whether there is a hub in between, or even using a simple cross-over cable?

So, in my opinion, the answer *should* be YES.

LittleFoot,

What you stated about what is where is correct. That was part of my question, as far as how to get the two connected?

I have a Hub which I use for Wireless and to allow multiple PC's to have Internet Connectivity, but don't know if that is a means to allow the Notebook and PC to "talk" ???

I can connect wireless through my Hub or use a NIC Cable. Is that a sufficient connection between the two??

TIA !!
    Brent Thomas
    Ohio

Speaking from my point of view, wireless connection isn't satisfactory enough when speaking in database terms. If anything disturbs your connection in the middle of processing, during Forms or Reports session etc., it will soon become real pain. Been there, done that. I'd rather use cable connection.

If both Notebook and PC run MS Windows XP, they will probably "see" each other as soon as you plug network cable into network cards. Set their IP addresses; check whether they are available using PING command at the command prompt.

Database Notebook must have a listener running, client PC must be set up in order to see this database. Basically, not a big deal.