Red face Unanswered: Adding a Column - Easy as Nuclear Physics

I haven't used Access for about 5 years and have just started with a company using an existing database that someone else created. I just want to simply add in a column but this key and command isn't listed in any of the menus.

Thinking I was very clever, I went in and added these commands in the "Customize" sections of the Tools menu. It put the commands to add/delete rows and columns in the "Insert" menu but they can't be accessed - ie. they're not highlighted and can't be clicked on.

I hope this makes sense to someone - I know Access isn't this complicated. I don't think a lock has been put on the database as I've been able to make other changes. Asking Miscrosoft Office has been no help as it just tells me to use the commands that I can't access!

Is there a reason you simply can't go into the table design?
    Me.Geek = True

Hi Nick,

I can get into Design View no problem but can't seem to find a simple way to add a column. I've never seen a table set up in design view like this one. It is a bunch of boxes that look like a flow chart in kind of a random order. It says to add a column you just click to the right of the last box and hit "insert column".

I think what he was referring to is going to Insert > Row. It sounds as though you are thinking of Excel columns. When you look at a table in datasheet view, the 'columns' are rows in the table.

Column/Field/Row Addition

It's not another row I need - that I figured out. When you look at the table in the Datasheet view, I guess you could call it another "field" - another vertical row/column of information I want to add to the existing table. That's what I want to do.

Thanks for the help so far everyone - I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it is.

I'm afraid you are losing me. Adding a row in design view equates to another vertical column in datasheet view. Perhaps if you could post an example, that may help.

Provided Answers: 19
    I can get into Design View no problem but can't seem to find a simple way to add a column. I've never seen a table set up in design view like this one.
    It sounds to me not like he's in Design View for the table, but rather Design View for a form! We are sure this is Access, right? And no one's asked the obvious question; what Version of Access?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    what I think is happening is that you are opening a table in datasheet view. as others have said you need to open a table in design mode

asking what version of access is a good call.. it has changed a bit over the years

but in essence its reamined similar.
    To make changes to a table you need to open the database that has the data in it... this may sound silly but if the database uses a split methodology (ie a front end holding the reports, forms etc and a back end contianing the data) then you need to open the back end

Another potential issue is that sometimes people forget that Access isnt a database... the actual database part is provided by another compoonent... which defaults to JET (what people think is Access) or another mechanism.. which could be a server database OR soem other system.

lets assume for now, it is an access application using JET tables....
    open the database
    select the table
    and select design view, or right click.. select design view. If you just select the table and open it ... it will display data in the datasheet view, where you can add columns but its not particularly usefull in my view
    ...you should see something similar to the attached image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails accesstabledesignview.png  
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton