Unanswered: faster recovery required

hi there
    for our retail software, we use Sybase sql anywhere 5.5.02 without replication.

I am studying on the recovery from abnormal shutdown for our software. As a retail customers, they wants to get their database up and running asap after the abnormal shutddown.

The fastest method is to delete the transaction log, and run the db with -f (forcefully) switch.

If I do not do this, then after restarting from abnormal shutdown, it takes sometime 2 hours to recover. During that, we just needs to wait, and I always watch the process use and memory use to check that its really doing something.

Here are my questions.

1. deleting the transaction log file and running the db with -f switch has any harms?
    2. is there any more faster way to recover the database faster. Our db files are generally 1.5 gb in size and log files are generally <5 mb.
    3. what all system does internally after a abnormal shutdown to recover the database. ( so that i can concentrate to improve those parameters. like checkpoint.log, rollback.log etc)

Please suggest.

Rohit Kumar
    Technical Support Analyst
    SAP Retail Solutions Centre
    Toronto

1. deleting the transaction log file and running the db with -f switch has any harms?
    -f switch is a mini suicide the log. It recovers only up until the last successful checkpoint. You are in fact losing data by doing -f

2. is there any more faster way to recover the database faster. Our db files are generally 1.5 gb in size and log files are generally <5 mb.
    Honestly, I have never heard of a 2 hr recovery time for a for a 1.5GB db. The application perhaps is doing some weired stuff and not committing at all. Even so, 2 hrs is far too long, I suspect it is either the version of SQL Anywhere that you are using or the disk that is the problem.

sql anywhere 5.5.02 is extremely old, if you want to stay on that release, at least apply the last available patch 5.5.05.something

3. what all system does internally after a abnormal shutdown to recover the database. ( so that i can concentrate to improve those parameters. like checkpoint.log, rollback.log etc)
    You don't need to tune anything, SQL Any is pretty good as long as you give it enough memory to work with.