Unanswered: Problem with privileges

Hello,

I have 2 schemas in my DB, let's say A and B. I want to update a table in schema B from a procedure in schema A. If I execute the update statement directly in sqlplus (in schema A) than there is no problem with privileges. I can update the table (in schema B).
    But if I put this statement inside a procedure (in schema A) I always get an Insufficient Privileges message.

How can I solve it?

Provided Answers: 4
    Privileges granted through roles are not valid in PL/SQL. So, if you granted UPDATE to a role (and role to the user), it won't work. You'll have to grant required privileges directly to the user.

One problem you might be experiencing is in how Oracle handles the execution of procedures, functions, and packages. If you create, for instance, a procedure as such:

Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE my_proc IS 
    SELECT col1 INTO my_var FROM table1;
    ...anyone granted execute privs on this procedure will execute as if they were the owner of the procedure. In this case, the schema owner of the procedure would have to have to have the correct privileges to select from table1.

If, however, you create the procedure like this:

Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE my_proc
    AUTHID CURRENT_USER IS
    SELECT col1 INTO my_var FROM table1;
    In this case, the schema owner would have to have SELECT privs on the table so the procedure could compile, but when the user executes the proc, Oracle would check to see if the user had the correct privs on the table, otherwise the user would get a table not found error.

The first example is what Oracle calls DEFINER rights, the default (and can be included in the definition as PROCEDURE my_proc AUTHID DEFINER IS...) while the second is called INVOKER rights.

Hope this explains some things.
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts