Unanswered: To be or not to be !

After six months of hard development, we successfully managed to port your database layer from ms access (.mdb) to Oracle XE. IT work, every major bug and other things are fixed.

However, my boss (who is also the manager) think it wasnt a good solution to go to Oracle XE, they mains reasons are : He realy dislike the fact that we must export/import database to move a db to another server. And he beleive that the rest of the application will be more easly ported to sql svr sql. (many hard coded sql in all the applications...)

So, any good argument to stay with Oracle insteed going to sql server 2005 express ?

Provided Answers: 4
    If export/import is his major reason to give up from Oracle, well, I can't comment that. In my opinion, these utilities are really great - those will allow you to export your XE database and import it to any other Oracle database, even if this one is on MS Windows and another one on Linux, third on Solaris and fourth on OpenVMS - no problem.

As of his opinion that Oracle isn't that good solution, well, he should have said that 6 months ago, not today. That is why every project has its phases; such a decision should have ben made months ago.

And the funniest thing of all: comparing free Oracle and MS SQL Server versions doesn't make much sense. Both of those are practically the same - both are free, will allow same amount of user's data, can use 1 CPU, etc. If he wanted to have something better for no money, why didn't he consider DB2's free version? It offers more than both Oracle and MS SQL Server. Besides, there is also MySQL or some other free databases - why didn't he consider any of those?

Is there, perhaps, something else that you didn't mention, or he forgot to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    If export/import is his major reason to give up from Oracle, well, I can't comment that. In my opinion, these utilities are really great - those will allow you to export your XE database and import it to any other Oracle database, even if this one is on MS Windows and another one on Linux, third on Solaris and fourth on OpenVMS - no problem.

As of his opinion that Oracle isn't that good solution, well, he should have said that 6 months ago, not today. That is why every project has its phases; such a decision should have ben made months ago.

And the funniest thing of all: comparing free Oracle and MS SQL Server versions doesn't make much sense. Both of those are practically the same - both are free, will allow same amount of user's data, can use 1 CPU, etc. If he wanted to have something better for no money, why didn't he consider DB2's free version? It offers more than both Oracle and MS SQL Server. Besides, there is also MySQL or some other free databases - why didn't he consider any of those?

Is there, perhaps, something else that you didn't mention, or he forgot to say?
    I may have forgot about that around 15 to 20 other applications already devlopped with ms access. they have all the sql hard coded. So he beleive the sql will be plug and play with sql server and the migration will be more easly.

Also about the exp/imp, I even devlopped a tool to use the data pump that take care or create all the tablespace, users creation etc. etc. So it's not problemes. But he stick that transportable tablespace is lame.

About making the decision 6 months ago. Well he is bad at managinh and he will resign from managing project soon.

About MySql, he dislike the "my"... but in my mind, MySql would be the better choice for the place to us. But since im not the manager...

Im will review my resume and think about getting a new job. I spent alot of time (Wich some was painfull) to learn how Oracle work and my work going to the trash bin...

Sorry if i sound bad, but I realy dislike to work for people who dont understand what they whant !

About db2, well! features are not importants, since all they know(other programmer) is ms access, so speaking about trigger, stored proc ... they dont see the need to use them.

But still I need a big major argument to blow away the sql server switch and stcik to Oracle.

;-)
    Last edited by artois_val; 01-09-07 at 08:06.

Provided Answers: 4
    The appears that the biggest major statement is "he will resign from managing project soon"