Unanswered: Timeslips DB files

Has anyone found a way to access these using MS Access? I have a client using Timeslips 2006 and they want to get out of it their slips and invoice data. the extension is .db but it does not work using he Paradox ODBC in Access, I have tried Access 95, 97, 2000, 2K2 and 2003 none work - Kevin

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never heard of timeslips, but I assume that it is some sort of time/attendance package. Do you know anything about the database engine that it uses? Lots of the file based database engines use the .db extension, so that doesn't help much.

Does the Timeslips package have any kind of export module built into the package itself? Can that write to a file format that you can use?

-PatP

You should be able to create a link table in Access. I was able to do this. You might need to use a query to populate a new table. Otherwise you might have locking issues in timeslips.

clariK

I also am trying to extract fields from timeslips (2008), would you detail how you were able to do this

I first went into Access 2000 and when creating a table chose link table. I found the timeslips database (.db) that had the information I needed. I then created a new table to hold the fields from the timeslips database that I wanted. I created a query to add the data to the new table from the link table. This seemed to work however I developed some locking issues. I realized that I could just import the tables from timeslips when I needed to update the table. In my case that is once a month. I still use queries to populate the new table. To import the table just click new table, browse out to where the timeslips .db's are. Change the file type so you can see the db's. Then just select and import.

http://www.timeslips.com/

don't mention what underlying database is used. .db may indicate that it's a dbase/foxpro/clipper database (although .db is a common custom extension as well.)

IF they're dbase/foxpro/clipper, then you should be able to use ODBC to connect from Access, & import the tables.

If it's a custom flat file format, you should still be able to connect to it for import; either as a fixed-width format or a character separated format. You'll just need to open the .db file in a hex editor (or even with notepad) to determine the format. Once you've nailed down the format, then you could define an import approach
    Last edited by loquin; 10-09-07 at 14:45.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

You may want to download BillQuick. It converts Timeslips DB to Access.

can u please help me out?
    a.where can I find the database file of Timeslips on my computer?
    b.what is the extension of the database file?
    c.can i see all my client information that is saved on the database?