Question Unanswered: What permissions or rights does PostgreSQL need to run?

I am running PostgreSQL v.8.0.3 and I have been trying to get a web page to interact with my newly created database. I have had no luck so far in doing so. Thinking that it somehow could just be a permissions/rights issue, I started messing with the ownership of the database directories and the postgreSQL config files. Now I can't get the postgresql service to start, it just says:

Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

when I try and start it up. I *know* that I should have taken notes when I started modifying settings at it, as I normally do on everything else that I usually work on..., and I will in the future.

Can anyone explain the basic running "structure" of PostgreSQL and what the permissions are "supposed to be" on an unmodified server? Thanks in advance,

GVN

Also, I'm running on Linux Fedora Core 4, currently running as 'root'. I have also tried running as 'postgres' and another user, but they can't start the postgresql service either. Any ideas???

GVN

Provided Answers: 12
    Postgres will refuse to run with Administrator rights on Windows, so I guess it won't start as root on Linux.

You gave nearly no information about your environment, so I can just guess and consult my crystal ball....

The first thing to check is of course the log files of Postgres. And possibly the "alert log" of the system. Don't know where that would be in Linux

The second thing that comes immediately to my mind:

The postgres user (i.e. the one running the service) has to have full read and write access to the data directory (either identified by $PGDATA or in the commandline when starting PG)

So, I'd check the settings on that directory (and of course all sub-directories)

Hmm, I'll double-check them again, but I think I already verified rw access.