Unanswered: Problem with character sets

I have a task to remove certain characters from strings coming into my database, specifically, remove all vowels to make a compacted string for matching. So if Alan and Alen come in, we will end up with LN and if all other facts are equal, it is a match.

I have to apply this to vowels from all languages, French (ΙΚ for example), Greek (ω Ω for example), etc.

I do not want to simply paste these into the code (as is currently done with some of the languages, I am adding Greek), I want to store the ascii values for the characters to remove in the database.

The problem is that I cannot find the ascii values and verify them. My NLS_CHARACTERSET is AL32UTF8. If I look up ascii values for Ω for UTF8, i find that it should be, well, any random number, depending on the chart I use (with 189 being the one I think is right). When I select chr(189) from dual in PL/SQL Developer, TOAD or SQL PLUS, I just see an upside down ?. When I paste Ω into these tools, I see a ?.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find and verify the ascii values for vowels in the various languages?

Thanks for any insight.

West Palm Beach, FL

Special characters may have been recorded correctly in the database depending on the db characteset.

The presentation on the client depend on the NLS_LANG environment variable and the interface software you are using to query the database.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb