Question Unanswered: Help - Might be a bounding question.

Hello,

Having a problem with a form of mine. If you do the following it puts the ID in for vaule and not what the ID is associated with. Been stuck on this for a while.

If you:

OPEN FRMMAIN-->DOUBLE CLICK JOHN DOE ENTRY-->CHANGE THE CLASSIFICATION-->THEN GO BACK TO FRMMAIN-->THE ID NUMBERS ARE GOIN IN.

I need for the combo boxes to work like they are, yet on the FrmMain I need the Classification name to be there and not numbers.

I think I messed something up because of the old learning curve...

This is exactly what mine is doing now and dont know how to fix. If you can get the ID numbers not to appear in the frmMain when a Classification choice is made, you will be my hero.

I have spent a long time with this issue and this is my final problem.

Let me know if you have any issues or can explain why its doin that.

Thanks for anyone that can help...this is my last hurdle before completion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have multiple columns in your combobox? Is your ID column the BOUND column? What are the column widths for this combo? To hide any given column, you need only set it's column width to zero ... When you select an item in a combobox, the value reported out is the value contained in the Bound column ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Its kinda hard to explain.

If I bound Classification combobox to column2. Then the Clarification combo box works which depends on the Classification box. But on my frmMain it then uses the ID's for column.

See attached.

If I bound Classification box to column1. Then the frmMain works the way I want, but then Clarification box doesnt work.

I need for the Clarification box to work and have the frmMain work as well. Not using the ID but the text that is selected in the dropdown box for Classification.

Attached the database as well if that helps.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helpgq4.jpg  

Aaaahhhh ... You have 2 columns of critical info (say 2 columns of keys) ... In which case, the mechanism that is not working, you need to alter how you make decisions using the combo ... How do you want the clarification combo to work? Are you doing a cascade? Where are you setting the rowsource and requerying for the combo? You might need to refresh your clarification combo using something like:

=ClassCombo.Column(1,ClassCombo.ListIndex)
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Yea think that was it. Just got it solved. I need to change my query and use this to reference a different column.

=cboClassification.Column(1)

Thanks for the reply and your help.