Unanswered: SQL Server 2005 clustering and service packs

Hi,
    We have SQL 2005 2 node active-active clustering with 2 instances on each node.(total 4 instances).

Is it possible to apply Service packs to just 1 instance or does it impact all 4 instances on both nodes ?

Provided Answers: 11
    When you apply the service pack, the setup routine will only update the files (and system databases) for one of the resource groups. This does include the files/registry settings on the opposite node, so to upgrade both SQL Instances, you only run through the install twice.

The confusion is more in the loose usage of the word "instance". I think the normal use it to refer to a running service, and not a collection of files on a server.

The confusion is more in the loose usage of the word "instance".
    Now I'm confused 'cause I see no confusion. As far as I can tell Mgupta's got 4 instances, reachable through:
    SERVERNAME\INST1
    SERVERNAME\INST2
    SERVERNAME\INST3
    SERVERNAME\INST4
    1 & 2 have N1 as the preferred node en 3 & 4 have N2 as the preferred node.

So he has to do the install 4 times. It's basicly the same as having 4 instances on 1 machine, only a little more complicated

To answer the question, yes it's possible to just upgrade 1 instance. Although I can vaguely remember something about having to upgrade the primary instance first (if you got one, it's just called SERVERNAME, with no instance name).
    Last edited by Lexiflex; 01-10-07 at 16:32.

Smile

Hi,
    thanks for responses.

Lexiflex explained the config correctly.

SERVERNAME\INST1
    SERVERNAME\INST2
    SERVERNAME\INST3
    SERVERNAME\INST4

Currently all Instances are on SQL 2005, SP1.

The scenario is this.
    I have an database on INST1 whose new version works only on SQL Server 2005 SP2. So if I apply SP2, will it impact only INST1 or will it affect all instances. The issue is that the other instances (2,3,4) have databases which are not yet certified to work with SP2 and I cant take that risk in Production.

thanks

Mmmm, as far as I know SP2 is only out as a CTP (correct me if I'm wrong). So it's not yet suitable for a production enviroment.

Probably you will be alright when you install SP2 (the not yet released, official release, that is) on just one instance but we never take the risk and always upgrade the whole cluster.

Lexiflex,
    the issue is not whether SP2 is CTP or not.

What I am trying to find is it technicallypossible to have instances on different service packs in a clustered environment or NOT ?

thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    Hmm. I thought he was referring to a single resource group as two instances (one "install" of SQL Server on each node). I stand corrected.

If you have the following:

SERVER1\INST1
    SERVER1\INST2
    SERVER1\INST3
    SERVER1\INST4

You can install SP2 on only INST1. It will not influence the other INSTs.

Note:
    I do not have any experience with SQL Server 2005 SP2 ctp.
    The above statements are made based upon SQL Server 2000 SP 4 and SQL Server SP 1 installations.

In cases like this when you can't get an affirmative answer from a 100% reliable source (which can be held responsible in case of error) it's wise to ask the question officially to Microsoft and base you actions upon their answer.

Thanks for your responses.

The official response I go from the Microsoft Rep who was sent by Micrsoft to help us create a POC for Clustering
    "Yes, its technically possible, but they dont recommend it".

Another confusing thing for me is :
    On Server 1, I have the following drives.
    C:\, D: Q: as Quroum (all physical drives).
    then I have 2 shared array drives, E and F.

similar configuration I have on Server 2.

When I create Instance 1(clustered) on Server 1, Where should I install program files and data files ? What are your experiences. I finally succeeded when I installed program files on local D:\ of server 1 under MSSQL.1, and Data files on E:\ drive.

It automatically created the program files on local d:\ of Server 2 also under MSSQL.1.

can you direct me to some good documentation on this ?