Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Database - Flash - ASP - ACCESS and back

I think I could have found an easier thing to do for my first database, but I can't do anything halfway...

I've searched and could not find what I was looking for.
    I have NO database experience but need to learn quick

I have an html page with an iFrame (flash menu on left - iFrame on right)
    When I click a product image on the left this is what I need to happen.
    - Flash send a variable
    - The iFrame to load an HTML page that will populate with an image, 2 text fields, and 3 hyperlinks dependant on what product is clicked in the flash.

I am using access since it is what i have at work, and i can just add all the products in a table pretty quickly and easitly. I set up a table in access with the image, hyperlinks, and text that needs to populate in the html page. The HTML page is set up in tables if that makes a difference...

I just don't know where to go from here to make my connections and how to set it up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    Sounds like your question is a lot more to do with connecting to a database using flash then anything to do with access.

I would recommend trying a few flash forums, although you might get lucky here...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I'm not reading database information into a flash site... It is being read into an html page in an iFrame, that has a flash menu.

Actually, I got the flash to send out a variable through ASP...
    Now I just need to figure out how to:
    - use that variable to get the specified data from access
    - have the iFrame reload with the data that is in the Access table

Example:
    - click on the product in the flash menu
    - sends a variable using asp
    - somehow get the information from access ("products" table)
    - show the Image, 2 text fields, and 3 hyperlinks which are assoiciated with that product in specific places...

(I'm guessing I'll have to use id tags in the html, in order to place the data in the right spots?)

How can this be done. I have already passed the variable from flash...

Provided Answers: 59
    ok so its not a flash issue, but its still not an Access issue. the issue is where you expect to make your database call

Im guessign its going to be in an ASP script, querying a JET database.....
    JET being the default data engine used by Access, which is a database front end.. not a database per se... confused?

Ive not used ASP that much, but Im guessing that effectively you are using Flash to request stuff from the db. If I was usign PHP I might be citing a URL with something like

./GetData.php?<myParameterlist>

where the GetData script querires the db and returns some stuff

So my guess is its more of an ASP question.
    the first step is to debug the getdata script... fairly easily done write it.. either pass it soem parameters.. or set them from within the script and get the data to come back to your calling visitor. The easiest approach undoubtably is to refresh the whole page.. but Ive not used flash to do db queries. mebbe thats why my sites all look fairly boring.. but are very fast loading.

of course you could be trying to fry those braincells by using an AJAX call... in principle Flash uses a variant of Javascript as its core engine, so it could be that you are trying to do an Asynchronous call. AJAX is SUCH fun.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    ./GetData.php?<myParameterlist>

where the GetData script querires the db and returns some stuff
    So, basically what I need to do is:
    - click flash button
    - flash sends variable
    - flash then loads the blank php file page
    - php page uses GetData to pull data from the database dependant on what variable is passed...

Does this sound right?

I dont know
    Personally I use PHP, AJAX & MySQL
    the limtied ASP I did a long time ago is sooo vague I cant remember

you are the person sending a value from a flash script
    whether that value is caught by php, asp, cgi, perl or wahtever is irrelevant.. what is relevant is that you have identified that value in you flash script, so now you need to set the iframe content equal to the output from a server side script. that means you have to get the flash script to call the server script.

I think what you will be doing is probably an AJAX call, or an AJAX type call.

you need to find out Flash calls server scripts / other HTML pages, and how you can direct that to your iframe

none of these are remotely relevant to the Access thread. If you are unsrure tof what to do then you shoudl probably ask those questions on a Flash forum. You may strike lucky here and find someone with Flash experience.. but it will be lucky.

having identified the mechanism you need then by all means come back wiiht a query relevanmt to the db part... however as you suggested in your opening thread ASP I'd guess it wiull be best to ask your question there

How is it that you're sending a variable via ASP? ASP is a server side scripting language so I assume you're talking about either a http post or a querystring parameter or some such thing. Once the page is delivered to the client, ASP is no longer involved...

Thanks, Yea I posted up on a couple different forums for this. Nobody has really given me the answer i'm looking for, or links... i should have learned how to do this with an easier project, but i like to get in over my head

I'll let you know how my search goes. Thanks for the help

I think we're getting stuck because we can't figure out exactly what you're asking for help with.

Maybe if you try to explain in plain English what the user is doing, from the users perspective, it might help simplify things.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    How is it that you're sending a variable via ASP? ASP is a server side scripting language so I assume you're talking about either a http post or a querystring parameter or some such thing. Once the page is delivered to the client, ASP is no longer involved...
    Ok here is what I have:

Flash sets variable
    Code:
    on (press) {
    	product = "CK5029";
    	play();
    }
    Flash sends variable - works in testing...
    Code:
    //  getURL - use for testing to make sure variables are passed
    //  getURL("http://www.emersonradio.com/processForm.asp",0,"post");
    loadVariablesNum("http://www.emersonradio.com/processForm.asp", 0, "POST");
    ASP
    Code:
    <%@language = "VBScript" %>

<%

strProduct = Request.Form("product")
    Response.Write(strProduct)

MyPath=Server.MapPath("database/emersondb.mdb")
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") '
    conn.Open "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
    "DBQ=" & MyPath

%>
    This is what I have so far...
    Here is a link so you can see what I'm trying to get to work.
    www.emersonradio.com/test/

The image on the right is a template of what I want to load in dynamically.
    - Product #
    - description
    - 3 hyperlinks (large image, spec sheet, price)

If you click on the clock radio section in the menu, then on the first product it will load the webpage in the iFrame instead of a template image.
    Last edited by adstudio3d; 01-12-07 at 12:48.

so you have the code that sends the request to the server. the only wrinkle is if the results of that request are going to be in the Iframe. thats controlled by the way you post the request. So thats a Flash issue

You have got your ASP script, now you need to make that work by using the parameters, you need to check that those paramaters are valid, then query the DB and send appropriate values back to the client. So thats a an ASP issue.

Neither of these are Access issues

again I cant comment about ASP, but having opened the connection I'd be expecting you to create piece of SQL that attempts to read from the db. that would be somethign like
    "select <mycolumnlist> from <mytable> where <mycolumn>=<myparam>"
    Id then expect some form of processsing loop to handle any valid records returned, also a mechanism to handle if no rows are returned
    perhaps you would be better asking this in the ASP forum

Yea, I've posted in a couple different forums. and this one, and Kirupa are the only ones that people have responded. I will try to post again in more detail... hopefully I can figure this out soon. Do you have anything written that I may take a look at just to get an idea of how calls are made back and forth just for reference?

Quote Originally Posted by adstudio3d
    Yea, I've posted in a couple different forums. and this one, and Kirupa are the only ones that people have responded. I will try to post again in more detail... hopefully I can figure this out soon. Do you have anything written that I may take a look at just to get an idea of how calls are made back and forth just for reference?

I dont know Flash.. so cant help you there
    I dont know ASP... so cant help you there
    have you tried posting this question on the ASP thread in this forum? as I think that is where your biggest issue lies at present

I could give you exampkes of PHP, PHP using Jacvascipt.. but you are using Flash & ASP there may be similarities but they are not the same

That's cool. Our server has php and I use that for our flash email contact form already...

I am using asp because I'm having a hard time finding information on linking to databases through flash... but Flash is able to talk to php so i'm sure i'll be able to get the variables out that way also.

I'm just looking for a way to do this that works, I don't have to use asp, if I can find another way to do this.

Have a read Here for a general overview of how to get ASP to connect to a MSSQL database. Then check on http://www.connectionstrings.com to figure out what your connection string should look like.