Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Renamed report changes revert back to original report?

I have a small 3 page report with a subReport.

I opened this report in design mode, saved it with a different name, and then applied "Conditional Formatting" on separate fields in the subReport.

Run the newly named report and the new formatting shows up. Kewl!

Then I run the original report and the "Conditional Formatting" I placed in the original subreport now reflects the formatting I just did on the newly named report.

The subReport is based on a small query.

How do I get around this?

Do I have to create a new query for each subreport? That's silly as the data is all the same.

Thanks . . . Rick

That's because the subreports are "shared" between the master reports. Theo only way to have the subreports to be different is to duplicate those also ... And then change the 1 that you want ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 1
    You could also explicitly handle the "OnFormat" or "OnPrint" events of your report and subreport...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Duplicate subReport is . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    That's because the subreports are "shared" between the master reports. The only way to have the subreports to be different is to duplicate those also ... And then change the 1 that you want ...
    you said . . ."The only way to have the subreports to be different is to duplicate those also . . ."

Duplicate . . . the subreport?

Isn't saving a subReport to a new name a duplication, especially when it's placed in a different report?

I don't get this.

Rick

I haven't used an OnFormat or OnPrint in anything I've done in Access so far.

I've seen those on the properties sheet if I remember correctly.

I don't understand how they work or why you would use one.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schreiber
    you said . . ."The only way to have the subreports to be different is to duplicate those also . . ."

Duplicate . . . the subreport?

Isn't saving a subReport to a new name a duplication, especially when it's placed in a different report?

I don't get this.

Rick
    How this works: When you add a subreport to a primary report, you have added a report control that points to a selected report ... When you dup the primary report, it copies the report control pointing to THE ORIGINAL selected subreport ... So, IF you want separate report and subreport, you need to dup each of them and then relink in the dup'd subreport in the primary. Got it?

When you add a subreport to a primary report, you have added a report control that points to a selected report .
    Is the subReport control pointing to the Report, or is the report control pointing to the subReport?

My subReport is based on one calculation query. The data and results are exactly the same in all 4 subReports. I'm only changing a "Conditional Formatting" for fields. It's the "Conditional Formatted" field that is changed backwards. (Color only)

Can I reLink in the report or subReport control in the properties window?

I'm sorry - I still don't get it.

Rick

Object Dependencies . . . ?

The Object Dependencies for the Reports and subReports do not reflect any dependencies?

Is there something wrong here?

Thanks . . . Rick

Is the subReport control pointing to the Report, or is the report control pointing to the subReport?

My subReport is based on one calculation query. The data and results are exactly the same in all 4 subReports. I'm only changing a "Conditional Formatting" for fields. It's the "Conditional Formatted" field that is changed backwards. (Color only)

Can I reLink in the report or subReport control in the properties window?

I'm sorry - I still don't get it.

Rick
    Subreports are reports in and of themselves ... They're just used within other reports ... So, the report(subreport) control points to report used as a sub ... And yes you can relink to a different report.

Subreports are reports in and of themselves ... They're just used within other reports ... So, the report(subreport) control points to report used as a sub ... And yes you can relink to a different report.
    I've created 3 new queriies.
    I've created three new subReports

No matter what I try the "Conditional "Formattting" migrates back to the original subReport.

??????????

Rick

I've created 3 new queriies.
    I've created three new subReports

No matter what I try the "Conditional "Formattting" migrates back to the original subReport.

??????????

Rick
    So, if you copy 1 of the reports to: TestSubreport1, modify it(conditional formatting), and then relink the main report to this report and run, you'll have the original formatting from the report you copied from?

Basic Premiss of Reports/SubReports

MAIN REPORT based on qryOneMilPlus
    NO Calculations just values of $1,000,000 and above.

subReport based on qry4MilPlus - to be placed in MAIN report.
    NO calculations just values of $4,000,000 and above.

"Conditional Formatting" in both MAIN and subReports.

I need three more MAIN Reports and subReports based on the same queires that will have different "Conditional Formatting" that DOES NOT migrate backwards either to the MAIN reports or the subReports.

This has proved to me more complicated than I thought!

Thanks . . .

Rick

Flows backward

So, if you copy 1 of the reports to: TestSubreport1, modify it(conditional formatting), and then relink the main report to this report and run, you'll have the original formatting from the report you copied from?
    No . . . the conditional formatting in the TestsubReport1 will flow back to the subReport that was copied in the original main report.

Rick

open mother report #1 in design view and click once in the subreport control.
    Alt-Enter to open the properties window.
    what do you see in properties/data/sourceobject?

repeat for mother report #2.
    one sourceobject = one set of properties. nothing is flowing anywhere.

now if you had a different report as sourceobject for the subreport in mother #2 ...

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I awoke late last night to realize . . .

sometimes you have to be hit in the head a few times to get it. I know I took the long way around.

Creating separate, individual subreports was what worked.

I believe that was sugggested to me more than once by more than one person. Da!

I really appreciate the assistance all of you provided me.

It makes more sense to me now.

Thanks MUCH! Rick