Unanswered: Oracle 9.2.0.1 Install - please help...

Hi all,

We have a Sun Solaris 9 server, which hosts a number of Oracle databases. The applications that use these databases are all at different versions of software. We have one Oracle home area which holds the live database, on Oracle version 9.2.0.6 - this Oracle home is known as /tpp/oracle/live/9.2.0

We then have another Oracle home area which holds the test databases, also Oracle version 9.2.0.6. This is known as /tpp/oracle/general/9.2.0.

Now we have been asked to upgrade the application software for one of the test databases. The problem is that the new upgrade requires a new Oracle version, 9.2.0.8. But the other test databases will only run on 9.2.0.6. Therefore we decided to create a new Oracle home area to hold this one database. We would have Oracle 9.2.0.8 in this area, and call it /tpp/oracle/load/9.2.0. The Oracle_base for all three is /tpp/oracle.

In order to install Oracle into a new Oracle home area and then point the database to it, we created an empty directory called /tpp/oracle/load/9.2.0. We then set the environment variables for ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE. We then copied the 9.2.0.1 installation CDs to a directory under the Oracle home area (idea being to have a clean install of Oracle and then patch up to 9.2.0.8). Then we ran the Universal Installer.

At this point the Universal Installer loaded and we were presented with the usual Welcome screen. However, when we attempted to click 'Next' in order to start the install, nothing happened. We clicked the button, it looked like it had been clicked (i.e. it popped in and out as you would expect) but then did nothing at all. In fact the same applied to all buttons on the Welcome screen, except the Deinstall Products button, which works as it should.

I am using an X windows session to pop the installer up on my screen, which seems to be working fine as the Installer does appear. I have also used the same xwindows for running Enterprise Manager Cnofig Assistant, and also for running a newer Oralce installer to upgrade to patch 9.2.0.6, all without any problems. This makes me think the xwindows stuff is fine.

We have attempted using two different sets of 9.2.0.1 CDs, in case one was corrupt, but both did the same thing. We have also unset all environment variables and then jsut re-set the oracle home and oracle base variables, so that we are sure of a clean start, but still nothing.

I would be extremely grateful of any help on this, as it is very urgent!!!

Many many thanks in advance.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >as it is very urgent!!!
    With advice you can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick any 2.
    Explain in more detail why it is urgent for me to solve YOUR problem.

Does xclock work when launched from the DB server?

> Then we ran the Universal Installer.
    which Installer? there are more than 1 on this volume.

I vaguely recall that for some combination of Oracle & OS (I don't recall versions) that a pre-installation patch was required before OUI would work.

THT & YMMV!
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Many thanks for your reply.

I just meant it is very urgent for me to solve, as the head of ICT at my organisation wants to know if he will have to pay out 850 per day to get the providers of the application to fix the problem, or if I can fix it for free. And as we are a local governement authority, using tax payers money it is absolutely vital that I have exhausted all options first.

I use cygwin bash shell. I'm not sure what xclock is. I open up the cygwin bash shell, type startx, which then pops up an xwindows command promt, in which I type xhost +. Then within the win220 session I have on the Unix server, I type export DISPLAY=mypc.company.gov.uk:0

Then I type ./runInstaller.

The installer appears, on the welcome screen. I try to click Next and nothing happens.

I have tried this on the server directly and from my machine. The supplier of the application say it should make no difference if I am sat at the server or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly013
    Hi all,
    We have one Oracle home area which holds the live database, on Oracle version 9.2.0.6 - this Oracle home is known as /tpp/oracle/live/9.2.0

We then have another Oracle home area which holds the test databases, also Oracle version 9.2.0.6. This is known as /tpp/oracle/general/9.2.0.
    1. You don't need different Oracle homes if they house the same Oracle versions. That is just a waste of space.
    2. You shouldn't have LIVE databases on the same servers as test databases.

That being said ...

1. You specify a NEW oracle home during the 9.2.0.1 binary install, not beforehand. The binary install will create all the directories/files that you need.

2. you running straight from the disks or have you moved everything to a local disk?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Hi,

We have separate Oracle homes for test and live as when we upgrade Oracle with patches we do it in the test area first. So for a time they end up on different Oracle versions.

The supplier of the software determines the spec of servers, and the fact that live and test are on the same server. As usual when dealing with third party suppliers our hands are tied and we are just left to pick up the pieces when something goes wrong. If it was down to internal IT we would always have separate servers, but the companies our service users buy from don't care once they have sold the product and walked away.

As it happens we have fixed the problem. The version of xwindows we were using was too new for the Oracle Universal Installer 2.2 to talk to properly and so some of the keystroke functions did not work. We're now using Exceed, which works fine. Unfortunately we discovered this after we had requested support from the company at a cost to us of 850. Shame.

Thanks for all your help.