Unanswered: SSIS Packages in a Cluster

I'm still new to SSIS packages and I'm NOT a developer. I am in the process of doing preliminary/prepatory work for migrating our SQL 2000 platforms to SQL 2005.

I am having a REAL headache with migrating/moving DTS packages from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. Here are things that I know :

1. I know that some packages cannot be migrated due to ActiveX issues and other issues. Fine.

2. I know that I can install DTS backwards compatibility components on the server in order to be able to edit the DTS packages using a SQL 2000 DTS GUI. Fine.

3. I know that I can use the Migration wizard to migrate packages (and that some of them can't be migrated this way). Fine.

Here's what I don't know/or am conjecturing:

1. In a clustered environment, I have to edit the <%Install Path%>/90/DTS/Bin/MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml file to set the <ServerName> property to the Virtual Server name. Correct? Why can't M$ do this for me?

2. Do I HAVE to export the SSIS package to a .DTSX file in order to be able to edit it with Visual Studio? Is there ANY way around this?

3. If I am running in a clustered environment and I use the File System for storing packages, then the pacakges must be stored on a shared volume, right?

4. I did not find SQL Server Integration services on the B- (Passive) node. Do I have to install it separately onto the B server (much like having to install the Client Tools)?

If anyone has some guidance or tips on running SSIS in this brave, new, wonderful world, I would sure appreciate it.

And yes, I am going to go out right now and order a new book on SSIS.

Regards,

hmscott
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-17-07 at 12:35.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Read this link and weep. They've taken one of the easiest components of SQL 2000 and made it a total administrative and configuration nightmare.

It would appear that Notification Services has similar setup/configuration issues when run in a clustered environment.

Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to separate my Integration Services server from my database server? It makes sense from a topology viewpoint (segrating services by function), but it makes a very powerful and useful component of my database cluster a total PITA to manage.

This bytes!

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Am I supposed to separate my Integration Services server from my database server?
    That's a descision we're munching about too. We've got lots of instances installed on dedicated servers, most of them clustered. And we like to keep them decicated. We're very fierce in rejecting requests to install anything but our db-engines on those machines (with the exception of virus scanning and monitoring software).

Along comes SQL 2005 with a whole bunch of services that we're suppost to be hosting. In our view these are part of the application layer because they could be compromising the resources from our databases servers.

We're still in the descision making process but I think the outcome will be that we're gonna use seperate machines to host them (either managed by DBA or the guys from applications). Which also solves the clustering problem.

Note: in 2000 we don't allow DTS-packages to be started from our database servers. This way the resources they use, with the exception ofcourse the requests fired at the databases, are drawn from the application server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexiflex
    We're still in the descision making process but I think the outcome will be that we're gonna use seperate machines to host them (either managed by DBA or the guys from applications). Which also solves the clustering problem.
    How? By not clustering the Integration Services servers? I LIKE my servers clustered; in our environment it's not much of an option. Pretty much everything has to be HA in one form or another.

I like what I see and read about SSIS. But I'm very concerned about the learning curve associated with it.

Sigh. I'll get used to it. But it's gonna take a while.

Regards,

hmscott