Unanswered: Auto-populate data between sheets

Hello,

I'm trying to figure how to do the following function (if possible) in Excel.

I have a sheet with a column of names in Column A rows 2 through 100. In column B I have a job title for each of those names. This is my master list.

Each month, I get a random list of containing some of these names, but never all of them and the list does not annotate their title. So, I now have two different sheets and would like to set up a formula that will allow me to auto-populate the job title field of one spreadsheet by looking up the job title for each individual from the master spreadsheet. Is this possible and, if so, how do I do it? I hope this made sense.

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

Have tried looking at the VLookUp function ?

This may do what you want.

MTB

I'm really a hack at Excel and know just enoughto get by, so that's a function I'm not familiar with using. If it's not too much to ask, could you tell me what and where to input this formula?

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

Have you tried looking in Excel help for VLookup ?

Have a go and if there are any specific question regarding this or any other function you might want to use, then I am sure there will be plenty of people who will help.

Having a go realy is the best way to learn.

VLookup has this syntax

VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

in your case it woud be somthing like this in the cell where you want the job title.

=VLOOKUP(NewNameCellRef,MasterSheetName!$A$1:$B$10 0,2)

MTB