Unanswered: Error No 3712; Operation has been cancelled by the user

This error is returned when a VB 6.0 application using ODBC (MDAC 2.8) attempts to open a DB2 (version 8.1) ADO recordset with a somewhat complex SQL. Less complex SQL in the rest of the app runs fine. The error text indicates that the user initiated a cancel but it appears that the actual error is being masked by ODBC.

This appears to be contention related since the error occurs about 80% of the time and not at all during hours that the system is less busy. The SQL runs without error when submitted in either SPUFI or QMF.

The error started occuring in a test environment when it was upgraded to DB2 v8.1.

I would like to a) determine what the actual error is and b) stop it from occuring.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeHarv; 01-25-07 at 16:12.

Assuming that ADO builds on CLI (aka ODBC), you could turn on a CLI trace.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Knut, this is 6.0 VB which is in the pre-CLI world, but when I perform the trace, the last command that I run prior to the error is "rs.Open". The next line that processes is in error processing. Thank you for taking the time to offer help!

Provided Answers: 1
    I'd say it is the ADO timing out. I don't know much about ADO but there should be a timeout setting somewhere. "rs.Open" is when the result set is being materialized, which may take a long time, and ADO cancels the operation.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.