Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Sage .DTA File - How can i Convert/View it ?

Hello, not sure if this is in the right forum or not...

I have a .DTA file from Sage which is a Database file, im assuming anyway, how can i convert it into a format where i can view it in say access or excel, something like that, or anything really just so i can read it all properly... i can read it in word - buts of it but its all mangled and awful...

Thanks

You can probably query from the file using ODBC. This turned up plenty of results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sage+odbc+driver

This post may help too: http://www.dbforums.com/t1008616.html

I have the .DTA file, all i want is to be able to copy all the names, addresses and phone numbers out of this into a file that can be read in access or excel

Yes, which means you first want to open it in such a way that you can read it. So jezemine's answer is your best bet.

right... I dont really no much in regards to things like this... so once i download the sage ODBC driver... what do i need to do then ?

Bump.... !

you need to write an app that uses the odbc driver to query your file. if you aren't a programmer, find one.

Quote Originally Posted by braduk2k
    right... I dont really no much in regards to things like this... so once i download the sage ODBC driver... what do i need to do then ?
    Install the driver and use Access to make an ODBC-connection to the file.

Im using Open Office Base... which is the equivalent of access... I go to " connect to an existing database" then i choose ODBC from the dropdown list... it then tells me to set up a conneciton to the ODBC database... when i click browse i choose "Sage Line" (others available to choose from are Excel files, MS Access files, dBase Files...

- I click finish then i still cannot see anything (also i still have not had the option to select the database .DTA file...
    Im going to get MS office today so you guys who are more familiar with it can help, Thanks anyways

Bump... anyone ?

Can you make a DSN trough the ODBC-administrator (start odbcad32.exe)?

Can someone tell me how to do this step by step as i have googled for ages and cannot seam to find out how to do it - i keep finding things that sound like they might be similar and trying them but nothing seams to work...

bump... anyone ?

BUMP... again