Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    506

    Whom will you prefer?

    A BIG BRAND name company with no exciting job, or a small company with great exciting jobs?
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    on the wrong server
    Posts
    8,835
    the latter. if the job is boring and not challenging I can not motivate myself to go to it anymore and I move on.

    there is absolutely nothing worse than being bored at work and to not have any sense of purpose or find any meaning in what you are doing.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    20,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    there is absolutely nothing worse than being bored at work and to not have any sense of purpose or find any meaning in what you are doing.
    been there, done that, and you are ~so~ right

    handed in my notice and moved on
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    190
    However, small companies usually have less benefits, less support staff and overall a more stressful feel to them. The politics are about the same, no matter where you go. It depends really on how important your work life is to your all around well-being. If you like to take work home with you, and don't have a lot of things to worry about (like children and the like) then small company is a better way. If you want to be comfortable about your life outside of work and don't need fufillment from your job, then maybe big business is for you. I think it just depends on the type of person that you are. I've worked for both, and liked and disliked both.

    When I worked for big business, I made projects to work on. You can seize more opportunities if you work at it.
    Last edited by msmeland; 02-01-07 at 10:41.
    "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly understood; an inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." ~G.K. Chesterton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,941
    I've had all kinds of jobs, and never had one I didn't like.
    I think I've been fortunate, though, and none of them were boring.
    I wouldn't last long at a job where I wasn't challenged on a daily basis.
    Work has to have some level of self-fulfillment.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Bottom of The Barrel
    Posts
    6,102
    Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    The politics are about the same, no matter where you go.
    I have to disagree. Having worked in a variety of environments I would say there can be night and day differences in politics from shop to shop. Corporate culture is a huge factor in whether I accept a job offer or not, I feel blowing that off as, "It's the same old &$%# everywhere" is relegating oneself' the the short end of the stick.

    Having a job where you actually look forward to going in on most days is worth a hefty sum.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

    *** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    12,592
    Generally, I'd prefer a small company over a large "Brand-name" company anyway. Large companies are, by nature, more beurocratic and less innovative.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

    blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,434
    Quote Originally Posted by rudra
    A BIG BRAND name company with no exciting job, or a small company with great exciting jobs?
    Big brand company sometimes means better benefits + less flexibilty. And why go for a job that isn't going to motivate you? I mean, the money factor may sway me momentarily but if I don't feel fullfilled in a job, I get bored very easily.

    I'd chose the challenge every time.
    George
    Home | Blog

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Generally, I'd prefer a small company over a large "Brand-name" company anyway. Large companies are, by nature, more beurocratic and less innovative.
    Agreed,and I think the small companies may have more opportunities:)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1
    Having a job where you actually look forward to going in on most days is worth a hefty sum.
    I coudnt agree more, it gives you so much more when you are doing something that you really enjoy.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1
    I would rather work for the smaller company since I am actually motivated when I go to work.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by msmeland
    However, small companies usually have less benefits, less support staff and overall a more stressful feel to them. The politics are about the same, no matter where you go. It depends really on how important your work life is to your all around well-being. If you like to take work home with you, and don't have a lot of things to worry about (like children and the like) then small company is a better way. If you want to be comfortable about your life outside of work and don't need fufillment from your job, then maybe big business is for you. I think it just depends on the type of person that you are. I've worked for both, and liked and disliked both.
    Couldn't agree more. I prefer the humdrum of predictable work (with the odd challenge) and security - I have many home responsibilities and health issues. Being female and the primary breadwinner in a household doesn't leave much space for a fast paced IT lifestyle. Been there done that as they say - it's not so great in the long-term. Big companies may not offer the excitement that a young vibrant company can give you, but it does give stability.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1
    I would go for BIG brand Name with no exciting JOB because the BIG company got BIG future and no worry about the job because Job will eventually go further and has future to move ahead..

    Charlene
    Last edited by ultrazone; 06-12-07 at 05:16.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    12,592
    A big company such as Enron?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

    blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Bottom of The Barrel
    Posts
    6,102
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrazone
    I would go for BIG brand Name with no exciting JOB because the BIG company got BIG future and no worry about the job because Job will eventually go further and has future to move ahead..

    Charlene
    BIG company got BIG future... has no need to care about expendable employees...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

    *** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •