Unanswered: Analysis Services for DBA's.

A lot of job postings these days for SQL DBA's list the requirement of Analysis Services. Not having any experience with it I'm wondering what exactly is meant? Of course its going to vary from company to company, but I really have no clue what they mean in general? Is it cube design? MDX query writing? Simply backing up? To be clear, Im asking in regards specificically for a DBA, not a Developer.

TIA, ChrisR

Provided Answers: 6
    it really annoys me how microsoft seems to change the name for this every year or 2. data warehousing, OLAP, analysis services, business intelligence etc... It really throws the recruiters off and makes me have to put what I think are redundant statements on my resume. do you know how to implement a denormalized copy of your data for reporting purposes in such a such version of the product?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yes. But I don't know much about AS, hence the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    it really annoys me how microsoft seems to change the name for this every year or 2.
    how else would you know it's time to upgrade?

Provided Answers: 1
    ANALYSIS SERVICES IS NOT DATA WAREHOUSING!

(Just thought that would pair well with me sig...)
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

does that mean AS is a star schema?

Logically, no.

For instance:

COW PIES ARE NOT DATA WAREHOUSES!

This does not imply that cow pies are star schemas. Neither does it assert that data warehouses are not cow pies, which, in fact, many of the ones based upon star schemas are....

blindman

heh, i was just kidding. a dumb joke.

Provided Answers: 6
    the blindman is being funny too. his tone can just be misconstrued some times.

I am glad I am not the only one breaking the super bowl sabbath. Damn last minute requirements changes. My numbers are not balancing. Missing about $375 out of 500K in my testing environment. this friggin' thing was working before I got the new requirements Friday after lunch. Going nuts. At least I am at home on the couch working on it...
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 02-04-07 at 16:00.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

that's nothing - one of my ex-girlfriends used to be a bank teller. she once told me the tellers there used to be up or down up to 1k after a *single* day.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    the blindman is being funny too. his tone can just be misconstrued some times.
    They have yet to invent an emoticon to represent the nuances of my posts.

blindman