Unanswered: a list of good business practices (was "New to this stuff...")

Alright, I think my task is somewhat simple, yet I have no knowledge in the subject. I have read through some posts and have found some tutorials that seem decent but hear me out anyways.

I am currently designing a website which is somewhat online, hosted by one of the members of the organization I am making the site for. Because of that it has been requested the link not be given out so it does not get picked up by browsers, I can however PM anyone interested with a link.

Anyways to the database desired. The organization is going to be compiling a list of good business practices, they want it to be able to be sorted by date added, number of employees, keywords, and type of organization. There is a bunch more information that each practice will hold but basically on the website you can sort by those types, it needs to have a list of each practice that meets the category along with brief description, name of practice, practice ID number, date added, and a URL that leads to the page with the full practice info.

So my two questions are, if I were to design this myself I presume it can all be done with mySQL and PHP? Secondly, if I were to contract someone to do this work for me, does anyone have any idea of a rough estimate of how much this would cost? I presume if you could see the site it would help, so if your interested in giving me advice please let me know.

If more info is needed I'd be glad to indulge. Thanks in advance,

ChaseNYC

um, yes
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

um, short response, any advice on where I should go with this? I PM'd you with the link.

Provided Answers: 59
    there is nowhere near enough information provided here for anyone to give a realisitic price, besdies which it is strongly discouraged to talk about rates or prices in this forum

in a pure html world someone could give rough estimate of n units of currency per page, but not if your are getting involved in scripting & database interaction

if you were able to give detailed specification then then possibly someojne would give you an idea. very crudely I'd say that what you want is possibly 1..2 months work (as a very minimum)... so factor that by what you think a professional developer would rate then that'd give you an idea. Mind you it could just as easily be 2 to 3's that, depeniodn on how could your design was, how good your documentation/ systems requirement is. The more work you do the more likely it is you'll get a price that is tenable... if you arent experienced in thsi world then Id say its posisbly going to be a nightmare (for youm, your customer and the developer)

Im not even convinced that PHP is neccesarily the right vehicle for such a project.. you may be bteer off with one of the MVC frameworks.. possibly Ruby on Rails
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

yes, I am sorry for the lack of information, one I do not know the terms to describe and two, it is hard without showing. I have provided you with a link to the site in your Messagebox,

Thanks so much for your time,

ChaseNYC