Provided Answers: 10

Unanswered: intercept AllowBypassKey? (was "(hopefull) A quick question")

Good day to you!

I'm setting up an application for distribution and I should set AllowBypassKey = False

I was wondering if there was anyway to intercept this so that the user is prompted for a password?

- GeorgeV
    George
    Home | Blog

the best way is to set bypass key to false and then if they enter the right password either bring up the DB window and abort any other startup activity or to renable the bypass key for the next time the program is loaded.
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by m.timoney
    the best way is to set bypass key to false and then if they enter the right password either bring up the DB window and abort any other startup activity or to renable the bypass key for the next time the program is loaded.
    Wouldn't that be considered unsecure?
    Good suggestion though!
    George
    Home | Blog

I was under the impression it couldn't be done any other way. Specifically, I use this method quite frequently. The only difference being that I use a custom pop-up form instead of input box.
    Last edited by nckdryr; 02-05-07 at 12:13.
    Me.Geek = True

Ahh well, I thought that might be the case.

I wish that this property could be set without having to restart the db (not a startup property)...

It's very unlikely using that method that someone can bypass but the point is (in theory) they could.

I've got a method alraedy in place very similar to the one on the link, just wanted to see if I could make it more secure.

Thanks for the responses nkcdryr and m.timoney

- GeorgeV
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Wouldn't that be considered unsecure?
    Good suggestion though!
    yes thats why it's the or method not the primary however if security is a secondary issue and you just want to stop noisy users poking around in the inner workings then it's fine it would take a incredible stroke of luck for them to uses the bypass key during the hopefully short period of time it would be enbled
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by m.timoney
    yes thats why it's the or method not the primary however if security is a secondary issue and you just want to stop noisy users poking around in the inner workings then it's fine it would take a incredible stroke of luck for them to uses the bypass key during the hopefully short period of time it would be enbled
    Aye it's true, but we all know how sods law works...
    ...allow bypass for a millionth of a second, once, ever and you can guarentee someone will get in.
    I know it's pretty much secure but you never know.
    What I've got seems to work I guess, so I best leave it at that
    George
    Home | Blog

In saying that - no matter what I do it's not entirely secure...
    I found this lovely little program...

http://www.jamiessoftware.tk/propeditor/pe_jump.html

Which allows the startup properties (including bypass) to be changed "remotely". Therefore the password is now redundant.
    George
    Home | Blog