Question Unanswered: ALTER DATABASE taking forever....

All,

I am adding 8 gig to a database and extending the log by 4 gig using the alter database command. I created the new devices using sybase central, I checkpointed the database and did a stop and start and ran the alter as follows:

alter database <prod_db>
    on <new_prod_dev> = 8000
    log on <new_log_dev> = 4000
    go

Its been running for the best part of 3 hours with more or less no cpu. I can see physical_io increasing in the sysprocesses table however. The system is a 3.2 Xeon processor running windows 2000 and sybase 11.9.2.5 (I know, don't ask!)

My question is should it be taking this long or has something gone wrong ???

Many thanks in advance...

syb_fkup

Provided Answers: 11
    So long as the physical IO keeps increasing, it is still doing work. Sybase will be zero-ing out the device for the entire time the alter database command runs. Depending on your disk (which may be as old as your software), this may be normal.

Thanks for the fast response! The disk is much newer than the software ;-)

It has finally finished, just need to remember the sp_ command to allocate this space equally across all segments (if there is one I'm sure I do remember there was a command which would do this). Any ideas ???

You're thinking of sp_extendsegment. If you have named segments other than "default" and "system" you should use sp_extendsegment to map these segments to the new device.

Michael

Hi l'm new to sybase, l am a sql server geek and just learning sybase since they both use T-SQL, l am having problem installing and confIguring sybase 12.5 on windows 2000 advanced server, any tips or web link or manual on instaalling and administering will be a graet help.

Thanks

TEE_BOY777

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by TEE_BOY777
    l am having problem installing ... sybase 12.5 on windows 2000 advanced server
    And how is this related to "ALTER DATABASE taking forever..."
    You should start a NEW thread for your problem.

Oh... you are new to dbforums, Welcome.

See: Installation Guide for Windows

RE: And how is this related to "ALTER DATABASE taking forever..."

Hi,

Thanks for the advice but l never mentioned anything about ALTER DATABASE Taking forever in mail, my question was about installing sybase 12.5 on windows 2000 advanced server. Anyway thanks.

TEE_BOY777