Unanswered: Removing spaces within a text field

This is a newbie question but I have to ask as I cannot figure this one out and it is driving me insane.

I have a text field which contains data that has spaces that I am trying to remove. This space can be near the beginning or near the end of the text. Examples below:

A2 23041 0
    A2-E 43644 0
    A80A041451 0
    K2 252 8 0
    P3193211 0

This more or less covers all of the various ways the data can appear. I have tried a simple replace just to see if it evens finds the space but no joy.

If there are any suggestions as to how I can remove the spaces, it would be greatly appreciated. I am using Access 2003..

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 10
    [field1] = Replace([field1], " ", "")

That should work depending on the event you want it to run on.

Alternatively come chip in on this thread http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614744

the best way to remove spaces from a table is to remove them before they append to it - that's what validation is for!

If you want to test a field for spaces then try:
    IF [field1] LIKE "* *" THEN
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev

the best way to remove spaces from a table is to remove them before they append to it - that's what validation is for!
    That is a battle I have to take up with the IT department.. in my world that means writing up a ten page dissertation on why they need to fix it so that I don't have to spend an hour trying to clean up the data when I get it. Even then it will take six weeks and a blood sacrifice to some heathen god before they make the change.

Thanks for the tip though, I will try that out.

EDIT: good to go.. that worked just fine. Now to get to writing my data dissertation.
    Last edited by demonR6; 02-06-07 at 10:11.