Unanswered: Help Please. Sql Agent Hung

Hello,

I have a process which is hung in Sql Agent 2005. The first step is an SSIS package which loads our data warehouse. The final step of the SSIS package is running a DBCC CHECKDB Task. Looking through the logs I notice that this task ran, and that the package reported Success in the System logs. Sql Agent Monitor shows that it is still executing this step. Moreover, no errors have been reported in the following logs; Sql Agent, Sql Server or the System logs.

We currently have this step executing under a proxy account which has administrative rights. We ran the agent for the first time yesterday as a test and it ran through correctly.

If you need more information I would be happy to provide it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
    KDK

So....what makes you say it's hung? Do you mean stopped?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Help Please. Sql Agent Hung

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your interest. This process normally only takes about an hour, I believe that it is hung due to the final step in the SSIS package reported success over 8 hours ago.

Essentially, the agent is configured to perform 3 steps, first step is to run the SSIS package, which it did. Upon reviewing the logs we can account for every process completing successfully in the SSIS package but the Agent never moved to step 2. The Agent Monitor just showed it was executing Step 1. The second step is to perform a replication task, which it never started. This was verified by looking at the Replication Monitor and also reviewing the logs. Finally, when reviewing the Agent History for that job there was nothing in there until we manually forced it to stop and then it displayed that we indeed did stop the package, at step 1, in the job history.

I would be happy to continually provide more information but I am not completely sure what else to look at or what sort of information would be helpful in determining the problem.

Please let me know if you need me to provide anything else. Thank you.
    KDK

is there anything interesting in the SQLAGENT.OUT log file?

Provided Answers: 11
    Do you need to refresh the view of the job?

Thanks for everyones input thus far. Here is where we are at. We manually stopped the Agent from running and here is the message that was displayed short after.

[136] Job Data Warehouse Nightly ETL Process reported: Unable to terminate process b54 launched by step 1 of job 0x40520E5E2C7EED4DA36B997D1E164058 (reason: Access is denied)

Could someone please point me in the direction of where to look to determine what this message means?

Once again thank you all for your help!
    KDK