Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348

    Unanswered: Memo field cuts off in Form

    Hi, I'm new here, I'm hoping I didn't miss somewhere that this is already answered...

    I have an Access DB that is used for tracking internal work requests. When I built it, I would swear that the full text of the memo field in which the problem is described appeared on the form (In a text box) used for entering and editing issues. Then one day it no longer did. It seems to cut off at or about 250 characters. It prints the full text just fine on the reports but makes some editing tasks a pain.

    I'm sure the answer is some property I am overlooking or something but I've given this more than one go to fix and haven't managed so far. Help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    157
    well, assuming your table's fine and like you said, it's displaying fine in the reports

    just cut the textbox, and drag your field back in, it should be fine
    Only quitters quit!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    Sorry for the delay, just got around to that.
    It fixed it thanks.
    Any suggestions to avoid that in the future, or is that just one of those things that happens?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    157
    look, i'm not sure if this is the most appropriate answer/advice for you but, i generally avoid memo fields.

    i believe text fields set to 255 are usually sufficient for some notes...

    on the other hand, you can still manage essay length memos using a bit of file management, which i personally prefer (also allows you some formatting freedom)...
    Only quitters quit!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    can you point me toward a url or something that could tell me more about the file management?
    This particular field is used to copy the entire contents of service request emails (not my idea). Some of them are quite long.

    EDIT: thanks for everything so far

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    157
    sorry, i just kinda patched this whole project on my own...

    but the idea is that i'm storing "paths" associated with records...

    using some objects, i'm able to open these files in the appropriate application

    right now, i'm usually maintaining a source folder on the client side, where the database would look for the file to save to the server...
    upon access/ copying of the file, i use the respective application to open the file (via its relative path ) either for viewing or when copied to the clientside

    for entire folders, i've had to use the file system object
    but for single files, the native filecopy command was sufficient,
    just make sure that you have checking for the consistency of these file copies

    i've used the autocad application object for drawing files, for some picture files, it was sufficient to open in a browser (though it's a little more fun to generate a small html file that the browser would open to view the picture )

    anyway, the microsoft office 10.0 to 11.0 library (its the application.filedialog) that's been very helpful to extract file paths

    i'm just using a separate table that stores rootpaths for each user, just in case they would have different view of the root...

    all the folders i maintain, related to each record's grouping
    so most of the paths are generated automatically
    Only quitters quit!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    wow, that sounds complicated. That sounds kinda like what I need to be thinking of for this. I'll keep the concept in mind and tinker with this. At this point in time, it is over my head but it gives me something to shoot for.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •