Unanswered: Hide + Show Cell

Im completely new to excel having never needed to use it until now. Basically i have this sheet which is filled in on a daily basis for a weekly period. On the last day of each week, i make any adjustments to the total after changes have been made, now at the moment i have the adjusted weight cell showing just the total of the cell with the weight + the adjust, this means that until friday i see unnecessary information as there have been no adjustments made and therefore no change to the total. What i would like is the Adj Weight cell hidden until any adjustments have actually been made, i realise this is probably quite a simple task but until i get myself familiarised with it, i am working with sheets created by the person previously in my job.

Day Total Week So Far

TOTAL NET SALES WEIGHT
    0.000 0.000
    = = = = = =
    TOTAL GROSS WEIGHT
    50.350 150.350
    - - - - - -
    CHANGE TONNAGE
    4.500 4.500
    - - - -
    Adjust Adj Weight

LESS SCRAPPINGS
    9.196 9.196 0.00 9.196
    - - - - - - - - -

GOOD GROSS PRODUCTION
    136.654 136.654 0.00 136.654
    = = = = = = = = =

now i assume its a simple if statement of some kind but i do not know the commands to hide and make a cell visible. Any help would be appreciated

Howdy, and welcome to the board and to Excel.

You can't hide individual cells (technically), but you can hide rows and/or columns. To hide/unhide them, on the menu bar across the top go to Format then choose either:

Row > Hide/Unhide

Column > Hide/Unhide
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

ok thats cool

so in that case, is there a way i can hide/unhide the column based on an event, ie the one i described where when an adjustment is made, could i potentially unhide the column when that happens?

thanks for the original help though.

Okay, I'm a little confused. In the OP you have it laid out as rows, now you are asking about hiding/unhiding columns.

Can you attach a small sample (dummy data if it is sensitive)?

Also, using VBA it will be very simple to do what you want, but without a sample, it is only genric.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

yeah apologies for the op, it was typed in a hurry at the end of the working day hence the poor layout of the table. When i get home this evening i will post a screen shot of the actual file, showing the exact location of the fields and hopefully clarifying why id like to hide a row.

I have done a tiny bit of VB before but that was back in college going on for 6 years ago and it was never with excel so if i have to go down that route to do something with this any hints would be of a great help to me.

Provided Answers: 10
    I think you mentioned something about this only being visible on one day of the week?

if so, this simple IF statement should do the trick:
    Code:
    =IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2) = 1,"Today is Monday!","It's not Monday!")
    Obviously swap the "Not Monday" for a blank sting ""
    and in the example above: 1 is Monday, 2 is Tuesday etc.
    George
    Home | Blog

that was almost what im after however it wouldnt work im my situation as it doesnt necessarly happen on a specific day of the week, the actual update happens when i make the adjustment to the total, which could be any day after the sheet has been finished(usually roughly a week to allow for any adjustments to be made.)

Im thinking now it cant be done without VB code to help the process along so i guess i had better start reading up on it again.

It would definately seem that way.

Basically you will have to store the total in a variable so you can perform comparisons on it.

Eg "if Oldtotal = CurrentTotal Then..."

I still don't quite follow why you need it to be hidden the rest of the time...
    George
    Home | Blog

well it was mainly just for a deisgn perspective, basically the total was always showing, and as these sheets are printed daily, i was getting double copies of data. I assumed it would be something simple however judging by the replies it isnt, nevermind i will have to leave it i suppose.

But would like to thankyou all for the help. Im sure ill be back at some point

Pop back soon!

If I get some spare time today I will have a play with a VB solution!
    George
    Home | Blog