Question Unanswered: Transaction (Process ID 66) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process.

Hi Folks,

I am having this table locking issue that I need to start paying attention to as its getting more frequent.

The problem is that the data in the tables is live finance data that needs to be changed and viewed almost real time so what I have picked up so far is that using 'table Hints' may not be a good idea.

I have a guy at work telling me that introducing a data access layer is the only way to solve this, I am not convinced but havnt enough knowledge to back my own feeling up. (asp system not .net).

Thanks in advance

This requires a more thorough analysis of your environment. If you have Premier Support Agreement with MS, you may get lucky if they send to you a "real" performance guy, who will be able to identify the culprit and possibly provide a solution. Most of the time you may get a guy who will tell you that you need to redesign your app, or even better, - will start introducing various config changes and creat new registry keys. But you can do it differently, by starting to collect profiler traces yourself (make sure to send them to a network drive or to a local disk that does not contain anything related to your SQL). If it's SQL2K5 it's even easier, - turn on all deadlock-related events to ensure you capture all the participants. Once found, you may be able to isolate the issue to a pair of specific call, and then address them (reconstruct the data access order possibly).
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."