Unanswered: access to public synonyms(SYSDBA & SYSOPER)

Hi All,
    I understand that when we connect as sysdba, we land into SYS schema and if we connect as sysoper, the schema is PUBLIC.

When I connect as sysdba, I am able to query all public synonyms (like v$datafile etc.,). However I am not able to query v$datafile if I connect as sysoper. It says table/view does not exist.

Can anyone help in understanding this?

Thanks in advance
    qA

Check the administrators guide (you know, the documentation).

Sysoper was always meant as "dba-lite" - someone who could start/stop the database, but couldn't see business data for example.

Question

Hi,
    I agree to you. But i fail to understand how sysoper is restricted to access PUBLIC SYNONYMS though sysoper lands in PUBLIC schema after connecting.

Regards,
    qA

There is no such thing as a PUBLIC schema. Sysoper is a priviledge and you can connect as any user that has that priv. It is a low priviledge user that can do things like start/stop the database, but can't access any database data. It is meant for a system operator.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thumbs up

Hi,
    I would like to quote the following lines from Oracle 9i Concepts.

"When you connect with SYSDBA privileges, you are in the schema owned by SYS.
    When you connect as SYSOPER, you are in the public schema. SYSOPER privileges
    are a subset of SYSDBA privileges."

After you connect as sysoper, if you do select user from dual; or show user in your SQL prompt it shows as PUBLIC.

So I do think there is a schema called PUBLIC.

Regards
    qA

It's not a schema, it is a defined as a role. sysoper connects as a user and then adjusts it self to look like a user named public, however public is defined as a role and is not found in sys.user$. See an interesting discussion at the following link.

http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/a...s/00000060.htm
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi,
    Thanks for the URL. It was really informative.
    Can you tell me when we create a PUBLIC synonym (like v$datafile), what privilege a user should need to query such public synonyms?

Thank you once again
    QA

A synonym is simply another pointer to an existing object. If you have rights to that specific object (v$datafile), then you will access it via the synonym. If you do not, then the synonym will not work.
    Bill