Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Need help configuring TSM (or may be environment variables on Windows in general)

Hello everybody,

My short question is, how do I specify different Windows environment variables for different DB2 instances? On a Unix system, I could put them into ${HOME}/sqllib/userprofile of the instance owner, and everything would be fine. But how do I do this on Windows?

The longer explanation follows:

I'm trying to configure TSM backups for DB2 8.1.9 on Windows 2003. I have multiple DB2 instances which should work with TSM using different dsm.opt files (essentially, they have different TSM node names and possibly servers). I created multiple .opt files, one for each instance, and checked with dsmc and db2adutl that they are correct by setting the DSMI_CONFIG environment variable to point to an appropriate configuration file.

However, when I run DB2 BACKUP command it takes the TSM configuration always from the same file, the one specified in the DSMI_CONFIG variable in the Windows system properties. I would need each DB2 instance to start up with its own value for DSMI_CONFIG, but how do I do that?

Thanks
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I am thinking aloud here; I see from the backup manual
    The USE TSM OPTIONS keywords can be used to specify the TSM information to use for the backup operation. The following example shows how to use the USE TSM OPTIONS keywords to specify a fully qualified file name: db2 backup db sample use TSM options @/u/dmcinnis/myoptions.txt The file myoptions.txt contains the following information: -fromnode=bar
    -fromowner=dmcinnis

By setting up dsm.opt with many servers(nodes) and having corresponding dsm.sys and explicitly specifying the from node in TSM OPTIONS, maybe what you need.
    mota

Provided Answers: 1
    Thanks Mota,

I knew about that; it doesn't seem to work with passwordaccess=generate. I tried it but it would only return authentication errors.

I seem to have found a solution though, by using DB2_VENDOR_INI registry variable at the instance level. I'll need to test it later today but it looks promising.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.