Unanswered: Msde 2000 - Sql 2005 Express Upgrade Issue.

Hey, This is my first time posting here but here goes nothing...

Ok I upgraded an xp machine running to sql express 2005 by doing the inplace upgrade. The upgrade process went great, after the upgrade I could connect to the databases that had been upgraded using the management studio.

BUT.

When I try to connect to the databases using the third party software which had always worked in the past I get the error when trying to access from both the client and server machines.

[DBNETLIB][Connection open()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I then tried setting up SQL express 2005 on another xp station just to test how things worked if it wasn't an upgrade. I installed, attached the databases (which I copied to that local machine) and I was able to connect to them through the third party software from the server machine, but not client machines. The client machines gave me the same error as above.

Does anyone have any ideas, I have been talking to the third party support but haven't gotten any where yet... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

why would you want to upgrade from MSDE 2000 to SQL 2005 express? Microsoft has stated more than 80% of the application running on SQL 2000 will not work on SQL 2005. Why not using the same old MSDE 2000?

most probably you will need to rewrite your application to handle SQL 2005

I spoke with the third party software company and they assure me everything will work on sql express. We wanted to switch to sql express because it had the report server stuff built in. I don't really know that much about this stuff, can the sql 2005 express reporting stuff be run on msde ?

I am not the expert here but I will just share what I have experienced so far.

Report server is a built in feature in SQL 2005. However, it has its limitation when it comes to report designer. My personal experience, it's easy to use, but it's not acceptable by the end user. I end up writing my own long script to output the whole report to excel file.

You shall show your users instead of simply pushing them to another technology. MSDE can run well on WinXP, so why change? If you can't give yourself a good reason to change, it's better to stick to something that's working.

Remember, free stuff, doesn't come in handy unless your requirement is very very simple.

If the software vendor assure you that, ask them to show you how to migrate the thing over. You can always use VMware or Parallels to do all the testing before you screw up your MSDE.

Thanks for the insight with the reporting stuff. Do you know if the report stuff from express can be used with msde?

Also, I think it's to late for me on the screwing up the msde. I removed sql express now and I have reinstalled msde, but I am getting the same error I was getting with the express. I have done a little reading and it seems like it might be a problem with remote connections. Does anyone know how to make sure remote connections are allowed in msde ?