Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: OCA Certification

Hi,

Can someone here be kind to guide my on my way to become an oracle certified individual?

Are the exams that hard? tricky?

I think the line up's for OCA (9i) are the following:
    Introduction to SQL
    Database Fundamentals I

Any tips and pointers are very much welcomed.

thanks

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Can someone here be kind to guide my on my way to become an oracle certified individual?
    1) Learn to use GOOGLE.
    2) Learn to use Search facility at http://otn.oracle.com
    Read & follow advice in #1 Sticky post in this forum.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

To answer briefly, just based on my experience with the same, if you read thorougly the OCA Certification books offered by Sybex Publications (SQL and DB fundamentals I) and understand the concepts well, you are bound to pass both the exams without issues. For me, the exams weren't hard but was tricky. By reading the above books, tricky questions can be answered too.

(However, for OCP, it's a different ball game..... Sybex books is not what I would recommend, though you could read it anyways)

anacedent: sorry, but when I searched for OCA Certification using the forum search facility, it returned nothing. I'll try to dig in deeper

saccskiz: hello there , actually, my friend lend me books which came from Oracle University, I got Intro to SQL, DBA Fund I & II etc. I'm with Intro to SQL right now and eventhough am finished with it, am afraid of making the move (taking the exam) because I am not sure whether I am ready or not. I was advised that there's a time limit in each exams which adds up to the fear. To be honest, I don't know how I am going to survive. I've been using SQL for 5 years but after reading the book, I think there's more to it than the day-to-day SQL commands. Can you help me?

Provided Answers: 4
    Perhaps you'd be interested in visiting this Oracle Training and Certification OraFAQ forum. I believe you'll find answers to most of your questions there.

yo

If you are unsure if you are ready or not, then, chances are high that you are not ready. You must feel confident about yourself before going into the exam. With what you already learnt, which is great, I would suggest that you look at another certification learning material(like sybex or online tests) and without reading the subject matter, directly, jump into the questions and take up the mock exams and give it a shot. You must be able to answer all the questions correctly to ensure that your preparation with the Oracle University books were worth it. If not, it is time to read another book(or the concepts in deep with Oracle Documentation)

And yes, there is certainly more to it than the regular day-to-day stuff. That's why these exams are expensive and the credibility of having a certiification is reasonably good !!!

Littlefoot's link is a very good place to seek answers and learn more

oh thank you very much

I tried the Practice exams of transcender and didn't get that too good score

got only 91/153 SQL questions - not covering creating tables and later chapters and I took the practice exam roughly 4 hours. =(

I don't have that oracle experience yet when it comes to complex queries. Do you guys think its wise to go by the theory before taking the exam? Or should I get experience first?

I would download the free Oracle XE database and use this as a test bed to try all the commands and sql commands as practice. It can be found at www.oracle.com
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    I would download the free Oracle XE database and use this as a test bed to try all the commands and sql commands as practice. It can be found at www.oracle.com

thanks, i've downloaded basic oracle installation kits and since I am aiming for 9i OCA, I've installed 9i first in my workstation.

Oracle Gurus,

It's stated in this URL http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_...xam_id=1Z0_007 that exam 1z0-007 only covers topics up to chapter 12 which is Creating Other Database Objects, the next chapters include Controlling User Access, using set operators etc etc. Aren't these included in the said exam?

If you have experience with Oracle, the exam wont be that challenging.
    If not, I'd install the software and play around with it as much as possible. Concepts are easy, the "What happens if..." questions were hard.
    ================================
    RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure
    ================================

ericjhin: hi, thanks for the info, right now am going over the last chapter of Intro to SQL. SQL is very tricky, there are some cases that aliases are used in Where clauses and some in Group by clauses. Got to study very hard or am going to receive some real spanking

Exams

If you have experience it will more easy for you, you may pass it with no difficulty.
    Also use test king books and simiral tests as you will be familiar with the test.
    And try to have experience, I pass the Java 1.4 programmer exam more with experience, second with the test practice exams and reading.

OCA route

To become OCA:
    1) Either you can go for bootcamp which is around $5000 for 5-7 days.
    2) Self study get the course material from online sources. You can download tutorial from www.isohunt.com
    3) There are some training institute which offers online training. www.guruschool.com is one.
    4) You can also check with local community college if they are offering DBA track or developer track.

Best of luck.

Raza

actually, am just on a self study basis, really can't afford to go to their university but I've heard that in order to become an OCP, one must undergo a hand-on session which costs around USD 1000.

Gosh, wish I had the capability to do so

hi guys, just an update

I made it thru 1z0-007. thank goodness

and thanks to all who helped =)