Unanswered: Oracle 10g how to run Enterprise Manager Console?

Hello,

I installed Oracle 10g EE under Windows XP... I can run Enterprise Manager via http://localhost:5500/em... But I remember that in Oracle 9 there was also Enterprise Manager Console that I could strat from windows start->programs menu ...

Can someone tell me if EMC was removed in version 10g or send me command line how to start EMC in Oracle 10g...
    ¨
    Many thanks for suggestions

David
    Last edited by Musil David; 02-21-07 at 02:32.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Musil David
    Can someone tell me if EMC was removed in version 10g
    Yes it was. I believe you can download the "Companion CD" from the Oracle site, which contains the old OEM, but I'm not sure.
    or send me command line how to start EMC in Oracle 10g...
    You have two options here:
    It's registered as and service, so you can either start it through the Control Panel or use the "net start <servicename>" command. The name of the service is installation dependent, in my installation it's called OracleDBConsoleoradb.
    I think the "OracleDBConsole" is always there and the rest of the service name identifies your instance.

The other option (I think this is the Oracle recommended one) is to use emctl to start and stop the EM Grid:
    For more details see:
    Starting and Stopping the Management Service

Installation and Basic Configuration

So, EM Grid is new name for OEMC but accessible only via html browser?

EM Grid is a new application, something completely new, not only a new name.

EM Grid is a completely different product, and it is not part of the 10g database installation, so those command will probably not work, unless you have installed grid control. Also, the version of the EM that comes with 10g is called Oracle's Database Control, not EM Grid Control.

You use emctl start dbconsole to start database control in 10g.

Quote Originally Posted by JMartinez
    Also, the version of the EM that comes with 10g is called Oracle's Database Control, not EM Grid Control.
    True. Sorry for the mistake (haven't used the new 10g stuff very often...)

Quote Originally Posted by JMartinez
    EM Grid is a completely different product, and it is not part of the 10g database installation, so those command will probably not work, unless you have installed grid control. Also, the version of the EM that comes with 10g is called Oracle's Database Control, not EM Grid Control.

You use emctl start dbconsole to start database control in 10g.
    Can I simply dowmload EM grid control from Oracle web site for try for free?

Yeah, sure, it is right there in the download page of otn. I am not aware of any licenses fees you have to pay in order to "try it" though.